Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 7:06pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Rating Uncertainty »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Off Topic Discussion
(Moderators: christianF, supersamu)
   Rating Uncertainty
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rating Uncertainty  (Read 7861 times)
mistre
Forum Guru

Rating Uncertainty
« on: Feb 4th, 2014, 3:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I combed the forum for an answer to this question, but couldn't find it, so I will ask it here.

Why is the RU minimum set to 30?  Is this an arbitrary value set by Omar or is an intrinsic value required by the rating system?

The reason I ask is that if you play very often, an RU of 30 seems a bit high as within the course of 10 games or so, you can still gain or lose 100 rating points easily if you get on a long winning or losing streak.

I know the gameroom ratings have many shortcomings, but reducing the minimum RU would seem to stabilize things a little bit.

Thoughts?
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

Re: Rating Uncertainty
« Reply #1 on: Feb 4th, 2014, 5:33pm »

Setting a minimum rating uncertainty is done to prevent ratings from becoming too rigid, which has been a common complaint wherever rating systems have been in use. I doubt that there is something special about 30, but I note that this value was suggested as the minimum rating deviation in the Glicko paper.

I had this idea of the flawed gameroom rating system being replaced by the (computationally similar) Glicko and to have their parameters be empirically optimized based on applying the WHR system over the database of games.
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #2 on: Feb 4th, 2014, 8:18pm »

On a sorta semi-related note I ran across another rating system recently. Purporting to outperform Glicko while being easier to implement and also having faster runtimes.

A Bayesian Approximation Method for Online Ranking

Janzert
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #3 on: Feb 5th, 2014, 4:41am »

on Feb 4th, 2014, 8:18pm, Janzert wrote:
On a sorta semi-related note I ran across another rating system recently. Purporting to outperform Glicko while being easier to implement and also having faster runtimes.

A Bayesian Approximation Method for Online Ranking

Janzert

I read the abstract, it seems pretty interesting as it also supports team games. Will definitely read.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.