Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 6:49am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Hello from india »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Say Hello
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Hello from india
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hello from india  (Read 1502 times)
rajmahendra
Forum Senior Member

Raj

rajeshblog  
Email

Hello from india
« on: Jul 14th, 2009, 8:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,

I am new to the group and learning. I am from Inida.

1) Anyone know... any place in inida i can buy the set and books ?

2) any online where i can meet people chat and play with people ?

3) Is there any free amiraa tool where i can add games in my blog ?

4) list of great games?
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2009, 9:04pm by rajmahendra » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Hello from india
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15th, 2009, 7:34am »

on Jul 14th, 2009, 8:15pm, rajmahendra wrote:
Hello,

I am new to the group and learning. I am from Inida.

Welcome to our community, Raj!  You will quickly find that we are a very international bunch.

Quote:
1) Anyone know... any place in inida i can buy the set and books ?

The set is not yet for sale anywhere, although it should be in a few short weeks.  Zman games has distributors in 23 countries, but unfortunately none in India. http://www.zmangames.com/distributors.htm  You might trying asking your local game retailer to contact Zman about carrying the game.

The book is available only from the U.S. via expensive international shipping, sorry!  For a free introduction to the game check out the Wikibook: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Arimaa

Quote:
2) any online where i can meet people chat and play with people ?

You are at the right place to meet people who play Arimaa and chat about it.  The chat room is linked from the game room http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/ in the upper right corner, but often there are no people there unless a tournament game is going on.  Wait about a month, though.  When the game comes out in August, I predict you will see the chat room fill up in a hurry.

Another place where you can sometimes find a game of Arimaa is http://www.iggamecenter.com/ , although there is no discussion forum and game history there.

Quote:
3) Is there any free amiraa tool where i can add games in my blog ?

Unfortunately, there is no such tool.  The best you can do is link back to arimaa.com from your blog, such as http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/comments.cgi?gid=101010 , replacing the gid with the number of the game you want to link.

Quote:
4) list of great games?

No one has yet made a "great games" compilation, but you can always start with games from the finals of the World Championships: http://arimaa.com/arimaa/wc/  Don't bother with the computer games if you want to see high-quality play.  Another good place to start is with this annotated game: http://arimaa.com/arimaa/twiki/bin/view/Arimaa/FritzleinVsOmar2005Postal Championship .  There you would have the benefit of not only seeing a high level game, but actually understanding a little bit of what is going on.

Thanks for you interest in Arimaa, and thanks for your questions.

Peace,
Fritz
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2009, 7:34am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

rajmahendra
Forum Senior Member

Raj

rajeshblog  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 15th, 2009, 7:57pm »

Hi,  
Thank you so much for valuable infos.

I just started this game it gives so much freedom at the same time TRAPS!!!!! need to play and study slowly.

Why don't you start a blog on Arimaa ?  
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20th, 2009, 9:39am »

on Jul 15th, 2009, 7:57pm, rajmahendra wrote:

Well I am not much of a blogger, but blogging is a good way to record what's going on with Arimaa especially for those who can't keep up with the forum and just want to drop in and read some articles about Arimaa. Maybe if others are also willing to write some articles maybe we can get it started.
IP Logged
rajmahendra
Forum Senior Member

Raj

rajeshblog  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20th, 2009, 9:59am »

@Omar  
Very true...!  we can easily bring article! some thing like.. Anyone can contribute with article.  monthly 2 article. Open to all writer.  

Somebody to review the article and post! Thats all Smiley

News,Events, Puzzles, Tricks, Games etc....  

if you have PHP and MySQL support then we can use a Free open source WordPress blogging tool Smiley  

I be the first person to add the RSS Feed Smiley

IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 20th, 2009, 11:07am »

on Jul 15th, 2009, 7:57pm, rajmahendra wrote:

Part of the reason I haven't started an Arimaa blog is that I am committed to the community.  If I have something to say about Arimaa, why not post it in the Forum here?  When I post my thoughts here it invites discussion with people who are already familiar with Arimaa and might have different opinions.  My experience is that blogs tend to be more one-way affairs, i.e. I say what I want to say, and other people can comment if they like but they can't start discussions.  It feels somewhat selfish to spend less time on "our" forum and use that time instead for "my" blog.

On the other hand, maybe there is an unmet need for posts that are directed at outsiders.  This Forum is read by people who already care about Arimaa, but not by newcomers searching for Arimaa information.  Also, perhaps the independence of a blog that is not part of arimaa.com could create a positive perception.  Also also, perhaps a blog with a specific purpose might be easier to get information from than sifting through all the past posts in this Forum.

So I am considering blogging about Arimaa after all.  What do people think?  Would my time spent writing in support of Arimaa be better spent posting in this Forum, or on an independent blog?
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2009, 11:09am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

rajmahendra
Forum Senior Member

Raj

rajeshblog  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 24th, 2009, 10:17pm »

@Fritzlein
I agree with all your words.

The thing is...  Arimaa is a community and its growing. We do have very nice tools and resource for learning and improving.

But if you see the exposure of the community is only inside the forum. We do have pretty good people who post in the forum.

What i am thinking is the exposure of all the things happening in Arimaa community. Blog i seen it as a tool to take most of the information directly to the public. Many people still dont know there is a game called Arimaa. There is exposure in some place but on net blog is the best. Forum are,like you said, like minded people.  

When i first start blogging and as i see it grows 70% of the visitors to my site comes only from Search Engines!

Articles: not necessary only one guy to spend. we can have a way of bringing people to post inthis. like... in my place when i conduct a contest, something like reports on activity. This we can post in forum, but how far it have exposure.... is very less.

i have posted about boylston-chess-club in one of the post.  http://boylston-chess-club.blogspot.com they have all what we talk about. the exposure of there club on google is looks vast!
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #7 on: Jul 28th, 2009, 10:12am »

on Jul 20th, 2009, 11:07am, Fritzlein wrote:

So I am considering blogging about Arimaa after all.  What do people think?  Would my time spent writing in support of Arimaa be better spent posting in this Forum, or on an independent blog?

Both, but I think that would be asking too much Smiley I would much rather you post on the forum.

For the blog linked from the Arimaa site, I was think it would be more like a community blog where various authors contribute articles.

IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #8 on: Jul 28th, 2009, 10:20am »

If there are a few community members making Arimaa posts to their own blog then maybe it would be beneficial to set up a 'Planet Arimaa'. This would more or less be the same as a community blog.

Janzert
IP Logged
rajmahendra
Forum Senior Member

Raj

rajeshblog  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 31st, 2009, 6:06am »

@Janzert  
Great idea! I once seen it as Planet Go/Weiqi, but dont know this site is a generic for all Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.