Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 6:53am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Hello »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Say Hello
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Hello
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hello  (Read 1540 times)
Sconibulus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4633

Hello
« on: Nov 11th, 2009, 9:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, I'm one of those new-type players, and I must say, this game seems to have about a million ways to play.  

One question though, about the bot ladder, how can you beat the blitz bots? It seems by the time I even see what move has been made I'm down to ten seconds, and clicking for my moves takes another five, even if I've predicted the move, so by move 25-30 I'm down to playing with about a five-second reserve.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11th, 2009, 4:26pm »

on Nov 11th, 2009, 9:24am, Sconibulus wrote:
One question though, about the bot ladder, how can you beat the blitz bots?

Omar had the same question.  Smiley  In fact, he initially considered playing at fifteen seconds per move so unreasonable that he didn't even make the time control available in the early years.  The fastest option when I joined in 2004 was thirty seconds per move.

Omar eventually added the blitz time control due to popular demand.  But even then he was terrible at it.  He lost all of his blitz games on time.  I mean all of them; he didn't even survive long enough to lose on the board.  He lost more than 200 rating points when he tried to start playing blitz, and was therefore underrated for several years.  Only in the past year or so has Omar finally had some success at blitz.

Now there is even one lightning bot playing at eight seconds per move.  That's even more impossible!

If playing blitz seems too fast for you, don't put yourself through the torture.  Forget the blitz bots on the ladder.  You don't have to ever play blitz to become a grandmaster of Arimaa.  Some would even argue that it undermines your "real" skill by forcing you to only focus on one-move cheap-shot tactics.  You could instead starting playing games against humans with a more relaxed time control.  That will give you more time to think about strategy.

If you feel compelled to play blitz, then the only thing I can suggest is to make sure you set your client to a faster animation speed, so that you don't lose a couple of seconds per move watching the pieces slide around.  Good luck!
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #2 on: Nov 12th, 2009, 12:24pm »

on Nov 11th, 2009, 4:26pm, Fritzlein wrote:

If you feel compelled to play blitz, then the only thing I can suggest is to make sure you set your client to a faster animation speed, so that you don't lose a couple of seconds per move watching the pieces slide around.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. You have to set the animation speed to a faster level and it will save you a couple of seconds on each move; every second counts at this speed.

Also you might want to turn on unrated mode (under the 'Settings' menu) so that you don't destroy your rating while getting better at the blitz speed.

I can't imagine how people play at lightning speed; that's insane Smiley
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #3 on: Nov 13th, 2009, 10:34am »

I, for one, have never played blitz.  It takes me most of a minute just to get my wand pointed in the right direction.  There are lots of other ways to enjoy arimaa.  Someday, I might try to become a quick-draw artist.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.