Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 4:16am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Hello! »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Say Hello
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Hello!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hello!  (Read 1063 times)
scratchwoodie
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #4783

Hello!
« on: Dec 13th, 2009, 8:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,
I new of the game through some articles / lectures at the ICGA. Bought the book last week and want to learn to play the game.
Maybe later creating also a bot.

Greetings,
Jan
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13th, 2009, 9:10am »

That's great to hear!  I thought the ICGA had lost interest in Arimaa, because their Arimaa page hasn't been updated since 2005.  When and where was the lecture that you heard?

We can always use another bot; despite recent advances, the Arimaa Challenge is still well out of reach for developers at present.  Maybe you will have the insight that creates a breakthrough for machine Arimaa.

Welcome to Arimaa, and don't hesistate to ask any questions.
IP Logged

scratchwoodie
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #4783

« Reply #2 on: Dec 13th, 2009, 9:30am »

Hi Fritzlein,
This year in Pamplona at the Computers and Games Conference there was a lecture by Gerhard Trippen. I don't think ICGA lost interest. Still more games are looked at and Arimaa is just one of them. And the website is not very well maintained. It could draw much more attention if there is a research group using Arimaa for its research.  

I bought your book to learn the game, after I read an article about the book on a newspaper website (forgot which one). Today I have started to play online. And the bot is currently just a plan, as I want to know a bit more about the game.

IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 13th, 2009, 11:35am »

Ah, yes, I had read about Gerhard's presentation.  His bot is one of the most interesting.  The world would be more fun if only the most interesting bots were also the strongest.  Wink

I hope you find Beginning Arimaa entertaining and instructive.  But I see you are past five ladder bots in six tries, so perhaps you will not need my book so much...
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2009, 11:35am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.