Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 1:27am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « How goes it? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Say Hello
(Moderator: supersamu)
   How goes it?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How goes it?  (Read 1905 times)
aozeba
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #4617

How goes it?
« on: Aug 2nd, 2010, 12:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey Y'all,

I'm new to the Arimaa community, but I've gotten really involved really fast! Some of you might have noticed I timed out of several games in the postal mixer... I was without internet access for longer than I anticipated (more on that later) and apologize for that.  

Anyway, I'm really excited about Arimaa and tell everyone I know about it, hopefully together we can get this game out of the internet and into the "mainstream"!

Andon Zebal
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: How goes it?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 2nd, 2010, 7:47pm »

Welcome, aozeba.  Arimaa can always use another evangelist.  I, too, look forward to the day when Arimaa is played in coffee shops as well as online.  As for the excitement of discovery, I've been waiting for it to wear off for the past six years, and it hasn't yet!
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2010, 7:47pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

knarl
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1648

« Reply #2 on: Aug 3rd, 2010, 12:09am »

Gday aozeba,  

I also look forward to arimaa becoming popular. It'll be a real buzz when there's an event like the arimaa world league that has hundreds of active players!

Fritzlein,

Your remark about people playing in coffee shops reminded me of something I was thinking the other day, about playing over the board.

Is there a way to enter physical games into the game database? It would be a shame to lose the data generated 'over the board', specially now the z-man sets are being sold.

Cheers,
knarl.
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #3 on: Aug 3rd, 2010, 12:20pm »

on Aug 3rd, 2010, 12:09am, knarl wrote:
Gday aozeba,  

I also look forward to arimaa becoming popular. It'll be a real buzz when there's an event like the arimaa world league that has hundreds of active players!

Fritzlein,

Your remark about people playing in coffee shops reminded me of something I was thinking the other day, about playing over the board.

Is there a way to enter physical games into the game database? It would be a shame to lose the data generated 'over the board', specially now the z-man sets are being sold.

Cheers,
knarl.

What I'd be worried about if people start entering their games, would be the typos they would inevitably include this way into a database that's mostly devoid of them, that is illegal moves, playing with ghost pieces... or even legal but false moves nevertheless (a wrong move is not necessarily illegal at the moment )

Unless there is a way to filter out these moves, I don't feel good about your idea.
IP Logged
aozeba
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #4617

« Reply #4 on: Aug 3rd, 2010, 12:31pm »

You could take videos of physical games and post them online, but I feel like trying to enter every move that was made in a game would be a ton of work!  

I think it would only work in an event such as a physical tournament, where someone is in charge of keeping track of all the moves, but for casual coffee shop games it would ruin the experience to try to write everything down.  

IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 3rd, 2010, 1:08pm »

I imagine that most games would not be worth the trouble of entering, but it would be nice to have the facility, if only for tournament games.  Certainly chess has this issue.  I believe Omar has already given some thought to standardizing/merging game databases when arimaa.com is no longer the only place to play Arimaa.
IP Logged

Hirocon
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #4359

« Reply #6 on: Aug 3rd, 2010, 6:23pm »

I know the database also keeps track of the average move times for each player in each game.  It would be very difficult to find that information accurately for physical games unless you use some fancy digital chess clock.
IP Logged

knarl
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1648

« Reply #7 on: Aug 3rd, 2010, 11:25pm »

True, there should be strict parsing to check if games are valid, and yes, tournaments would be the main use. I think timing info could be flexible. At the very least games could be marked as interactive or postal, and time controls and/or move times optional.

Think of a time when the Arimaa world championship only has qualifying online, and the final tournament is a televised live event =D. Those games would need to go in the database.

cheers,
knarl
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #8 on: Jan 30th, 2011, 6:08am »

Welcome aozeba,
Having a video of the game both players could log in and replay the game according what they see. The small time discrepances would not be important.

Yes, it would cost whole game time to do that, so not recommended for postals. But for games with move in around 1 minute it could be the easiest method.

(Playing the video twice the speed would need to multiply times by 2 afterwards/while playing ... in that case omar's influence would be needed).
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2011, 6:09am by Hippo » IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.