Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 7:08am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « thomastanck gets addicted. Yet another victim of.. »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Say Hello
(Moderator: supersamu)
   thomastanck gets addicted. Yet another victim of..
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: thomastanck gets addicted. Yet another victim of..  (Read 4941 times)
thomastanck
Forum Senior Member

6366th Person to register!

thomastanck gets addicted. Yet another victim of..
« on: Apr 15th, 2011, 4:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

ABC column
---------------
thomastanck gets addicted! Yet another victim of the very exciting game, Arimaa. At first glance Arimaa does not look like much, but it is incredibly deep.

thomastanck is a 13 year old overly optimistic nerd who likes programming and math. He was looking at a Wikipedia article on how Deep Blue beat Kasparov in 1997, which is the year he was born, and as usual he clicked on the links in the "See Also" section. Boom, Arimaa caught his attention and he decided to give it a try. After playing it for a day, he skipped over to the forum to see some more. He made an account to comment on a thread in "Bot Development". He also posted in "Game Analysis" to hopefully improve his play.

He hung around in the forums before making a thread in "Say Hello", where he writes about himself in "ABC column" in third person perspective. He is currently eager to make a bot with his friend in Singapore, hoping to see some results.
IP Logged

Thomas Tan, a very bad Arimaa player.
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

Re: thomastanck gets addicted. Yet another victim
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15th, 2011, 8:33am »

on Apr 15th, 2011, 4:52am, thomastanck wrote:
ABC column
---------------
thomastanck gets addicted! Yet another victim of the very exciting game, Arimaa. At first glance Arimaa does not look like much, but it is incredibly deep.

thomastanck is a 13 year old overly optimistic nerd who likes programming and math. He was looking at a Wikipedia article on how Deep Blue beat Kasparov in 1997, which is the year he was born, and as usual he clicked on the links in the "See Also" section. Boom, Arimaa caught his attention and he decided to give it a try. After playing it for a day, he skipped over to the forum to see some more. He made an account to comment on a thread in "Bot Development". He also posted in "Game Analysis" to hopefully improve his play.

He hung around in the forums before making a thread in "Say Hello", where he writes about himself in "ABC column" in third person perspective. He is currently eager to make a bot with his friend in Singapore, hoping to see some results.

Megajester, another nerdy person who spends more time in the forum and organizing Arimaa stuff than actually playing any Arimaa, saw Thomas's post and couldn't decide if he was just being a precocious little wotsit or if he had discovered an interesting style worth giving a try.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #2 on: Apr 20th, 2011, 10:41am »

Welcome to the Arimaa community. I like your style of writing. You sound quite talented.
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #3 on: Apr 20th, 2011, 4:02pm »

on Apr 15th, 2011, 4:52am, thomastanck wrote:

thomastanck is a 13 year old overly optimistic nerd who likes programming and math.

I think you're lying.  I think you're actually a 19-year-old bikini model looking for fun.
IP Logged
ginrunner
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5449

« Reply #4 on: Apr 20th, 2011, 4:21pm »

on Apr 20th, 2011, 4:02pm, RonWeasley wrote:

I think you're lying.  I think you're actually a 19-year-old bikini model looking for fun.

in a perfect world?
IP Logged
froody
Forum Guru

I <3 nurpinar

phm_42@yahoo.co.uk   anteater042

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12th, 2011, 9:38am »

I have to doubt the sanity of anyone that plays Arimaa.
IP Logged

“Arimaa holds its master in its own bonds, shackling the mind and brain so that the inner freedom of the very strongest must suffer”
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #6 on: Jan 22nd, 2012, 6:53am »

on Dec 12th, 2011, 9:38am, froody wrote:
I have to doubt the sanity of anyone that plays Arimaa.

Yeah, and of everyone who speak of themselves at the 3rd person. When they do both though, they're very promising Smiley
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.