Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 10:57am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Hey »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Say Hello
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Hey
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hey  (Read 6398 times)
Tellmarch
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #7418

Hey
« on: Feb 17th, 2012, 6:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi there,
I like strategy games, and heard about arimaa a few days ago.
I've played, among other games, chess (where I believe I played against your champion chessandgo in a tournament as a kid, small world ^^ ), go, shogi.
I decided to try arimaa for a bit Smiley

So far I've mostly played against bots, trying to climb slowly the bot ladder. A typical game of me would be  
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/jsShowGame.cgi?gid=216092&s=b , my last game: everything goes well until move 23, where I have a nice advantage (I think), and after 3 awful moves I'm dead Smiley

Apart from introducing myself, I'd like to know if there are some resources to learn about the basic strategies/tactics of the games?
I was giving the link to http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Arimaa , so I've began reading it, are there some other links I should know about?

Tellmarch
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Hey
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18th, 2012, 9:46am »

on Feb 17th, 2012, 6:32pm, Tellmarch wrote:
Hi there,
I like strategy games, and heard about arimaa a few days ago.
I've played, among other games, chess (where I believe I played against your champion chessandgo in a tournament as a kid, small world ^^ ), go, shogi.
I decided to try arimaa for a bit Smiley

Welcome to Arimaa, Tellmarch!  Thank you for giving it a try even though you have tasted of the classics.  I believe our natural player base is chess refugees, but since most chess players cannot conceive of a chess-like game that might prove deeper than chess, it is a very slow trickle of converts.  On the other hand, our retention rate of those who bother to investigate Arimaa is very high.

You must tell us about our reigning Arimaa World Champion.  Did he scowl over the chess board?  Fidget?  Or did he sit perfectly still and calmly destroy everyone?

Quote:
So far I've mostly played against bots, trying to climb slowly the bot ladder. A typical game of me would be  
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/jsShowGame.cgi?gid=216092&s=b , my last game: everything goes well until move 23, where I have a nice advantage (I think), and after 3 awful moves I'm dead Smiley

Yes, we all go through this against bots.  Superior strategy plus tactical blunder equals loss.  Tongue  The interesting thing is that if you study Arimaa long enough, you can get better than the bots tactically as well, except perhaps at the very endgame.  

Quote:
Apart from introducing myself, I'd like to know if there are some resources to learn about the basic strategies/tactics of the games?
I was giving the link to http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Arimaa , so I've began reading it, are there some other links I should know about?

Tellmarch

There is my book Beginning Arimaa, videos linked below the left-hand menu in the game room, live and recorded commentary of World Championship games.  But at the moment there is a unique written resource: tharkun's comments on all his games.  In the upper right of the game room is a link to "commented games".  If you really are serious about studying Arimaa, you will replay tharkun's games alongside his commentary, see if you understand what he is saying, and respond if you have questions/disagreements.  I imagine he won't be doing this commentary forever, so take advantage quickly!

(But if you are like me, you will find that Arimaa is so much fun to just play that you can't stop long enough to study it. Smiley)
IP Logged

tharkun
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #7288

« Reply #2 on: Feb 18th, 2012, 5:16pm »

on Feb 18th, 2012, 9:46am, Fritzlein wrote:

But at the moment there is a unique written resource: tharkun's comments on all his games.  In the upper right of the game room is a link to "commented games".  If you really are serious about studying Arimaa, you will replay tharkun's games alongside his commentary, see if you understand what he is saying, and respond if you have questions/disagreements.  I imagine he won't be doing this commentary forever, so take advantage quickly!

Thanks for the thumbs up! I am planning to continue to analyse all my games (with the possible exception of simultaneous games), but the extent of my analysis will depend on time and motivation. I generally won't analyse my games immediately after I have played them. Arimaa is a really difficult game: in many games I cannot really pinpoint why I won/lost. That's why I analyse my games some time after I have played them, so that I have increased my playing strength in the meantime. Otherwise I found that I simply do not have the tactical and strategic armoury to make meaningful comments.

I think that the most effective way to improve is to analyse your games with a stronger player. There is a thread in the forum where you can ask for feedback. You can also ask someone directly, but in that case do not be offended if they refuse, since it is labor-intensive.
« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2012, 5:22pm by tharkun » IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #3 on: Feb 19th, 2012, 5:40am »

Awesome, salut Jean ! Qu'est-ce que tu deviens ? Smiley

On a side note, I think Tellmarch is the only guy of my generation named Jean as well that I've ever met. When we played together we actually did look a bit similar, and my coach trying to have a look at my position from afar thought he was me and me him. Smiley
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #4 on: Feb 19th, 2012, 5:45am »

When trying to goal, it's actually easier to advance a rabbit along the edge than in the center. You tried the d-file on move 25s, but your d3 rabbit could be catpured on traps f3 and c3. When Bomb advances a rabbit along the h-file on move 25g on the contrary, even if you block it with a piece or with (several) rabbits, you probably won't be able to capture the Rabbit, so it's a "free" attack for Gold.
IP Logged

Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

« Reply #5 on: Feb 19th, 2012, 3:05pm »

on Feb 19th, 2012, 5:40am, chessandgo wrote:
Awesome, salut Jean ! Qu'est-ce que tu deviens ? Smiley

On a side note, I think Tellmarch is the only guy of my generation named Jean as well that I've ever met. When we played together we actually did look a bit similar, and my coach trying to have a look at my position from afar thought he was me and me him. Smiley

Who won?
IP Logged
Tellmarch
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #7418

« Reply #6 on: Feb 19th, 2012, 3:38pm »

He won, of course ^^

Thanks for the welcome Smiley

I think I like this game a lot, it's pretty interesting.
Maybe I should take a break from playing and calm down a bit though, everything was going well in the ladder, but now I've lost my 9 last games against bots  Smiley

I'll watch some of these video you talked about Fritz, and read somme of tharkun's commentaries too ^^
IP Logged
ginrunner
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5449

« Reply #7 on: Feb 19th, 2012, 9:45pm »

the bots get exponentially harder (my opinion) but the weird thing when playing them you will get breakthroughs and beat 3 or four in row row then be stuck again.
IP Logged
Tellmarch
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #7418

« Reply #8 on: Feb 20th, 2012, 1:35am »

on Feb 19th, 2012, 9:45pm, ginrunner wrote:
the bots get exponentially harder (my opinion) but the weird thing when playing them you will get breakthroughs and beat 3 or four in row row then be stuck again.

Indeed, I managed to break the curse and won 3 in a row ^^
IP Logged
Tellmarch
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #7418

« Reply #9 on: Feb 22nd, 2012, 6:55pm »

on Feb 19th, 2012, 9:45pm, ginrunner wrote:

What you didn't tell me is that the last bot was 1000 times tougher than all the others  Angry

But after a lot of despair, throwing away lots of games with a clear advantage, tons of one move blunder, nightmares of the time beeper, i finally won Cheesy

Quote:

Congratulations Tellmarch. You've reached the top.  
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2012, 6:57pm by Tellmarch » IP Logged
ginrunner
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5449

« Reply #10 on: Feb 22nd, 2012, 9:20pm »

congrats!
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #11 on: Feb 23rd, 2012, 4:54am »

on Feb 22nd, 2012, 6:55pm, Tellmarch wrote:

What you didn't tell me is that the last bot was 1000 times tougher than all the others  Angry

But after a lot of despair, throwing away lots of games with a clear advantage, tons of one move blunder, nightmares of the time beeper, i finally won Cheesy

Do I subtract it well you did it in 8 days?
Wow. Congrtats
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 23rd, 2012, 11:14am »

Jeepers!  ("Wow" and "congrats" were already taken...)
IP Logged

ginrunner
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5449

« Reply #13 on: Feb 23rd, 2012, 6:34pm »

I took the opportunity to play him now so I could say I beat him because at some point that won't be possible.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.