Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 4:35pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « A Hello from Pittsburgh »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Say Hello
(Moderator: supersamu)
   A Hello from Pittsburgh
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A Hello from Pittsburgh  (Read 5591 times)
blackczajk
Forum Full Member

Bass, backing vocals, goofy hair

A Hello from Pittsburgh
« on: Sep 14th, 2012, 2:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

HEY YINZ GUYS!!!!

Ha ha, so, after reading about the game and looking at replays for about a month, and maybe a week or so into clawing my way up the bot ladder (bit by bit), I thought I should probably stop and say hello to the rest of the community.

The last thing I'll add is, I'm really impressed. The more I read into everything, and the more I'm playing, there's a simplicity AND a depth to the game that speaks volumes without needing to say much of anything--I'm surprised at how many silly mistakes I've made against the bots so far where, looking afterwards (and even right then as it happens), I go, "yeah, I should have been paying attention".

Oh yeah--to the community at large, thank you. It's definitely fun, and I think I'll stick around for a while Smiley
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

Re: A Hello from Pittsburgh
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14th, 2012, 4:34pm »

Welcome ... the next lost/captured soul Wink
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 15th, 2012, 8:25am »

Welcome, blackczajk.  (It this a clue how to pronounce your family name?)  It strikes me that if I were writing my hello to the Arimaa community after eight years of playing, my message would have basically the same content as yours:

1) I can't believe how much depth there is from such simple rules; for example, I'm learning new things about strategy in all five of my postal mixer games.  If I analyze (instead of just playing) the moves that first occur to me, I often realize my priorities are wrong.
2) I can't believe how many silly mistakes I make.  Smiley
3) It's definitely fun.
4) Thank you Omar; thank you community!
IP Logged

blackczajk
Forum Full Member

Bass, backing vocals, goofy hair

« Reply #3 on: Sep 15th, 2012, 11:16am »

[quote author=Fritzlein link=board=sayHello;num=1347650483;start=0#2 date=09/15/12 at 08:25:06]Welcome, blackczajk.  (It this a clue how to pronounce your family name?)  

Yep, that's the clue for the Romanized way, even though very few people get it. In a lot of ways, I always feel like the Gasol brothers trying to explain how to pronounce their name, ha ha.

It's refreshing to find something that actively makes me think--and there's very few games like that being made now. (As a side note, my sister bought your  
Beginning Arimaa book for me, and I agree with your assessment of how games get designed lately.)

And to Hippo . . . yeah, I'll go with lost, I don't think making maps will do any good here Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.