Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 2:01pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « hi all... »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Say Hello
(Moderator: supersamu)
   hi all...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: hi all...  (Read 5532 times)
DannyV
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #8493

hi all...
« on: Apr 23rd, 2013, 12:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi all, i'm pretty new on here, it's been a few weeks or so of just getting some games in in my free time between a busy work schedule. i've managed to play about 160 games or so, and have a 1571 rating. i'm just wondering, is this a good rating for my experience level? (i have no previous experience with Arimaa, only what i've played on here.) is it bad? is it about normal? i haven't been playing humans- just been trying to climb the "bot ladder" to this point , figured i'd start challenging human players if/when i ever complete the bot ladder (is this a good plan?) i guess i'm just looking for any tips or advice overall, as i have quickly fallen in love with this game, and i'd like to at least become a decent player in a reasonable time frame. i will appreciate any feedback, thanks in advance!!

Dan
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: hi all...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23rd, 2013, 7:25am »

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the world of Arimaa. As a beginner without prior Arimaa experience you can try to explore and discover Arimaa on your own. But if you want to get better faster the best way is to read some Arimaa books. The bot ladder is a good place to start, but you might find playing games against humans at your skill level to be more interesting.  
IP Logged
DannyV
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #8493

« Reply #2 on: Apr 23rd, 2013, 4:11pm »

thanks Omar. i should have mentioned i DID do some reading of the wiki book online. didnt read it all but skipped around reading several sections of it, learning about trapping and such. i think i will take your advice and start testing myself vs humans as well. thanks again!
IP Logged
mattj256
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8519

« Reply #3 on: Apr 24th, 2013, 10:25pm »

Hi Danny and welcome!  170 games in two months seems like a lot to me!  My rating is a bit below yours, and I feel like I've had to work fairly hard to get to that level, so that's good for you. Smiley

I'm glad you're writing, because you remind me that I wish I had better statistics on player performance and what constitutes "normal."  Eight out of the top ten human players have completed the bot ladder, but one of the ones who didn't is two-time world champion Jean Daligault.  (username chessandgo)

Of course playing bots and people is good.  There are two books on Amazon and a fair number of videos online.  The fact that you're asking if you should wait to play humans before you complete the bot ladder speaks a lot to your work ethic.  I have a feeling most people start playing humans long before they've put in 170 games.

A few words of advice (even though I've joined more recently than you.)
1. Try to learn from people who are rated a LOT higher than you.  If you feel like watching a video, watch a video.  There are some world championship games coming up in the next few days with live commentary.  I mentioned the two books on Amazon already, and you've already found the Wikibook.
2. Consider starting a meetup or a local club, or joining a local board game group and teaching some people there the game.  (I'm only saying this because it seems like you've already caught the "bug.")  For extra fun, teach Arimaa to children.  You will learn a lot from teaching others.
3. If you want, ask for analysis of a game you played in the game analysis forum.
4. When the next tournament comes around, regardless of what your rating is, join it.

I hope I'll get to play you some time. Smiley
Matthew
IP Logged
DannyV
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #8493

« Reply #4 on: Apr 25th, 2013, 9:05pm »

wow, thats all great info and advice. i appreciate it Matthew! yeah i have my invites turned on now so feel free to invite me if you see me, maybe you'll be my first human opponent. ratings aside, i have a feeling you'll have an edge on me, but either way i'll look forward to it! thanks again for taking the time to share all that info with me! ttyl, Dan
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.