Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 1:06pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Another bot trying to survive the brutal world »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Say Hello
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Another bot trying to survive the brutal world
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Another bot trying to survive the brutal world  (Read 7686 times)
GorgeTranche
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #8904

Another bot trying to survive the brutal world
« on: Jan 13th, 2014, 3:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hallo everybody,

after introducing myself in the last topic, its now my first bot.

I am working on the bot in the context of a bachelor thesis in computer science. The first line of code was written on the first of november. So it is fairly young Smiley
Since the bot is the first thing I ever came near artificial intelligence or bot developement (other than usual stuff at University) I am not expecting it to play really strong in the near future Wink But I give my best efforts!  

The biggest obstacle right now is, that I have to write a lot about everything, leaving not much time to develop Undecided ...  

OK, enough:

His name is bot_Yeti.
I wrote this bot completely from scratch using Java as implementation language (Normally I would use C, but Java just makes stuff easier sometimes).

It is based on an Alpha-Beta search with move-ordering (I just used another instance of the same Alpha-Beta search for that) and transposition tables with Zobrist hashing.

The data structure relies completely on bitboards.

Otherwise there is a static evaluation function. Quiescence-Search is not implemented yet, but a very simple version (goal control ...) will probably be implemented in the near future.

Right now I am writing on getting the evaluation function to work better.
As of performance ... Cheesy nah... not that good. It takes about 1 to 10 seconds for a 4 ply deep search and about 5 minutes for 8 recursions...

I do have some questions to you developers later, but I will post that in the bot-development section.

Again - If you have any Information, Ideas, Optimizations or anything else I would be happy to talk about it  Smiley

So lets see where we will be in a month or so  Roll Eyes

Greetings
Maurice && bot_Yeti

PS: It played its first game this morning and lost really bad amongst other because of the very unbalanced evaluation function  Wink
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Another bot trying to survive the brutal world
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13th, 2014, 1:16pm »

Thanks for introducing us to bot_Yeti.  I am jealous, because I was almost allowed to do an Arimaa bot for a parallel computing class project, but it was changed to a fluid dynamics project because the latter was more relevant to my research.  I am particularly excited to learn that you will keep up your Arimaa interest after completing your undergraduate work, just as lightvector keeps updating his bachelor's project bot_sharp.  Go Yeti!
IP Logged

GorgeTranche
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #8904

Re: Another bot trying to survive the brutal world
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14th, 2014, 8:05am »

Thank you for that warm welcome  Smiley

With this community it is even more fun, thumbs up to you all!

Fluid dynamics sounds really interesting as well!! And it sounds like you are deep in to computer science as well. So if you ever decide to start a bot, please let me know.  I am always very interested in different approaches and techniques! And with your knowledge in Arimaa and (probable) programming skills that could be worth taking a look at.

I hope no one expect bot_Yeti to challenge Sharp in the near future, but I will still keep developing if there is time  Cheesy
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.