Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 4:25pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « hi all »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Say Hello
(Moderator: supersamu)
   hi all
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: hi all  (Read 7907 times)
dave_lelystad
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #9477

hi all
« on: Feb 25th, 2014, 12:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,
After chessbase wrote an article about arimaa, I was very interrested and just wanted to know more about this game. I like the simplicity of the rules and the deep tactics and strategic aspects of the game.
Don't know where it goes, but for now I want to learn as much as I can
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: hi all
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25th, 2014, 12:35pm »

My hunch is that chess players generally would love Arimaa if they gave it a chance, because the more closely you look at Arimaa, the more it displays all the qualities that make chess a great game.  According to that theory, the only reason we don't have a flood of chess players converting to Arimaa is that chess players can't be persuaded to give Arimaa a chance.

Since you are coming from chessbase, I assume you are a chess player, so I ask you to confirm or disprove my theory.  As you get to know Arimaa better, tell us what is exciting or disappointing in your experience.  I suspect that Arimaa won't flourish merely by being different from chess: it has to be a better chess than chess itself to really take off.  Please let us know whether it succeeds at that in your mind.

Also, feel free to ask any questions here in the forum or in the chatroom.  We're a friendly, helpful bunch. Smiley
IP Logged

Ail
Forum Guru

Rabbits can't push Rabbits!

Re: hi all
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25th, 2014, 5:34pm »

on Feb 25th, 2014, 12:35pm, Fritzlein wrote:
My hunch is that chess players generally would love Arimaa if they gave it a chance, because the more closely you look at Arimaa, the more it displays all the qualities that make chess a great game.  According to that theory, the only reason we don't have a flood of chess players converting to Arimaa is that chess players can't be persuaded to give Arimaa a chance.

Well, I tried advertising it a little among chess players. One of the answers was:
"I think I only have time for one incredibly deep and complex game in my life right now."

I don't know where I read it. It might have even been written by you, yourself:
The type of people who might like Arimaa are the ones that are willing to see more in a game than a mere way to spend some time. They like something that they can dedicate a lot of time to. But most of these people already have something to dedicate their time to.

I also came from chess and I find it quite hard what knowing about Arimaa did to my chess-affinity.

I don't really want to give up on chess but when I consider stuff like this:

Chess:
White wins: 37.41%
Black wins: 27.46%
Drawn: 35.12%
(Source: http://www.chessgames.com/chessstats.html )

Arimaa:
Gold wins: 50.16%
Silver wins: 49.84%
Drawn: 0%*
(Source: http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=talk;action=display;nu m=1163650023;start=31 )
*Only way to draw was eliminated with an rule-change in 2008. Before that exactly one rated game was ever drawn.

It's really hard to go back to it as if nothing happened.

To draw a comparison... For a chess-player playing Arimaa is kinda like cheating on a woman you learnt to know quite well with a mysterious and more attractive one. Lips Sealed

But the advantage is: You can love both without any of them getting mad at you. You just have to see how much time you want to spend with each of them. Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.