Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 7:30am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Please welcome Ryan Jurado »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Say Hello
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Please welcome Ryan Jurado
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Please welcome Ryan Jurado  (Read 15055 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Please welcome Ryan Jurado
« on: Jan 4th, 2015, 2:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Last May Ryan (username GorgontheWonderCow) contacted me and said he had seen some of the Arimaa event videos and was interested in doing commentary during the 2015 events. Recently I got in touch with Ryan to see if he was still interested and after some email exchange I found out some amazing things about him.

I asked Ryan how he got interested in Arimaa and to provide a bio relating to Arimaa that I can post on the forum. Here is what he sent me:

"Ryan 'Gorgon' Jurado is a retired musician, sometimes writer, and long-time games and strategy theory enthusiast. Sometime after discovering Arimaa by happenstance and teaching himself from Wikipedia, he taught the game to as many locals as would hear him out. Most of his Arimaa comes from the hard knocks lessons of coffee shop challenges with other home-grown enthusiasts. When he recently discovered that there is a larger online community supporting the game, he knew he had to get involved.

Ryan has been a voice in eSports commentary where he focuses primarily on live analysis for Dota 2. His contributions to major publications have helped shape the landscape of that game, which has annual global prize pools exceeding $12 million, and he's excited to become more involved with the Arimaa community."

Ryan has done hundreds of hours of commentary online for audiences ranging from 100 to 100,000. You can see an example here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB75jSRsocA

Ryan is interested in being an anchor in some of the 2015 Arimaa event games.  

I want to be the first to welcome Ryan to the Arimaa community and say that we are very fortunate to have someone of your experience and talent in commentating join our community. I'm also very impressed that you an active Arimaa promoter offline. The 2015 events are already gearing up to be some of the best we've ever had; with your addition they are going to be totally awesome.

After having said that I don't want anyone to feel that they are less welcomed to do commentary. In fact quite the opposite. Even when Ryan signs up to do commentary on a game he will need one or two co-commentators that he can engage with questions. Also there will be plenty of games that anyone who wants to be an anchor or technical commentator will have an opportunity. I'm very thankful for all the commentators we've had in the past and I highly encourage you to continue. Perhaps we can inspire more new commentators to get involved.

Please join me in welcoming Ryan to the Arimaa community.

IP Logged
GorgontheWonderCow
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #10183

Re: Please welcome Ryan Jurado
« Reply #1 on: Jan 4th, 2015, 3:35pm »

I'm happy to be here and grateful to be welcomed into this wonderful community that I didn't know existed until relatively recently! I think Arimaa is a complex and interesting game, both to watch and to play, and I can't wait to help contribute to its growth!
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2015, 3:35pm by GorgontheWonderCow » IP Logged

Broadcasting and analyzing wherever games are played.
clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

« Reply #2 on: Jan 4th, 2015, 9:35pm »

More commentators are always welcome. Some useful resources:

This forum thread about how to get your commentary working with the Arimaa radio widget.
Once games are scheduled, you can use this spreadsheet to indicate which games you are thinking of commentating.

I hope to be able to work with you soon!
IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
JimmSlimm
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6348

« Reply #3 on: Jan 4th, 2015, 11:56pm »

Welcome! Also I love your nickname Tongue
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 6th, 2015, 9:02pm »

Hi, Ryan.  It's great to hear that you will be giving commentary for this year's tournament.  Has anyone sent you a link to the coordination spreadsheet?  It is here. (edit: I see clyring already linked it above.)

Do you prefer to work with a co-commentator rather than by yourself, or is either equally good?  If you haven't signed up yet because you are looking for a partner or partners, I would be interested, if the game is at a time at which I can be present.  Just communicate your preferences and I am sure we can work something out.
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2015, 9:09pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

GorgontheWonderCow
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #10183

« Reply #5 on: Jan 12th, 2015, 1:10pm »

I always prefer to work with a co-commentator to make sure that a broadcast is as interesting as possible. In terms of my personal comfort level, I am comfortable either way.

I'll be signing up for some games later this week--this happens to be the busiest week and a half of the year for me at work. Once I get through it, I'll become more active about setting up some streaming and getting some scheduling done!

I'm really excited, and we should definitely schedule some broadcasts together, Fritzlein!
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13th, 2015, 10:50pm »

Accept a welcome from me as well. Do your plans by any chance include having any Arimaa commentary be broadcast live via YouTube?
IP Logged
GorgontheWonderCow
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #10183

« Reply #7 on: Jan 16th, 2015, 3:55pm »

At the moment, I'm planning on doing commentary live on twitch.tv, which will then be uploaded to youtube for posterity. However, tonight I'm going to go over everything with a fine-toothed comb and make decisions about what sort of broadcasting mechanisms I'll be using for my first run tomorrow night with Fritz. After that point, I'll do some adjusting based on any community response and hope to hit the ground running as the bracket moves forward!
IP Logged

GorgontheWonderCow
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #10183

« Reply #8 on: Jan 17th, 2015, 3:59pm »

For our broadcast tonight, I will be broadcasting to my personal twitch page (because I already have all of the authorization keys set up).

If this works well, which I suspect it will, I will discuss getting authorization keys to stream to the Arimaa youtube account and creating an Arimaa twitch account as well.

I have successfully accessed the Mumble Arimaa Studio as well, so we should be able to go live on Arimaa Radio!

Edit: the stream version will be on twitch.tv/gotcow. I will announce on my twitter when that stream goes live (twitter.com/gotcowdota).
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2015, 5:33pm by GorgontheWonderCow » IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.