Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 11:19am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum Ŧ WC game first round against The Jeh ŧ

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Players Availability
(Moderator: supersamu)
   WC game first round against The Jeh
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: WC game first round against The Jeh  (Read 2332 times)
arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

WC game first round against The Jeh
« on: Feb 11th, 2009, 1:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi John,
would you mind if our game will be played at least 4 hours back? (or 7 hours the best).

I donīt know why but scheduler scheduled this game to my 5th choice - that's almost unacceptable for me.

Thx for answer.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: WC game first round against The Jeh
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11th, 2009, 6:55am »

Has the new scheduler ever scheduled a game later in the week than 15:00 Sunday my time (the time of your game)? There are supposedly new slots open later in the week, on in to Monday, but if they aren't being used it could indicate some kind of bug.

By the way, when you say moving the time "back" it is somewhat ambiguous.  I think that "back" means starting the game later, but it could mean starting the game earlier.  I propose we talk about moving game times "earlier" and "later" to be clear.
IP Logged

The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #2 on: Feb 11th, 2009, 3:16pm »

I can play 2 hours earlier, but no more than that. I could also play 17 to 19 hours earlier. My apologies.
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2009, 3:18pm by The_Jeh » IP Logged
arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12th, 2009, 1:06am »

on Feb 11th, 2009, 6:55am, Fritzlein wrote:
Has the new scheduler ever scheduled a game later in the week than 15:00 Sunday my time (the time of your game)? There are supposedly new slots open later in the week, on in to Monday, but if they aren't being used it could indicate some kind of bug.

By the way, when you say moving the time "back" it is somewhat ambiguous.  I think that "back" means starting the game later, but it could mean starting the game earlier.  I propose we talk about moving game times "earlier" and "later" to be clear.

Hmm, although I donīt understand how you can change "back" with "later" - but my native language isnīt English so I agree Smiley)

They are many preferable time slots (at least 10) for me earlier on Saturday and on Sunday. I see one explanation that The_Jeh hasnīt any of these time slots checked (that means it is not even his 5th choice - so i cannot get these time slots in any case).

IP Logged
arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12th, 2009, 1:12am »

on Feb 11th, 2009, 3:16pm, The_Jeh wrote:
I can play 2 hours earlier, but no more than that. I could also play 17 to 19 hours earlier. My apologies.

Thanks at least for that - (original time is 10 pm for me so assume at least 3 hours of play and next day is working day). 8 pm for me would be much better for me.

Ok I will send Omar a request for shifting game start two hours earlier.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12th, 2009, 11:13am »

The game time has been shifted two hours earlier.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 12th, 2009, 4:10pm »

on Feb 12th, 2009, 1:06am, arimaa_master wrote:
Hmm, although I donīt understand how you can change "back" with "later" - but my native language isnīt English so I agree Smiley)

Sure, look at this article for example:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/125166/windows_vista_release_pushed_back_ to_january_2007.html

When the software was released two months later people say the release was pushed back.  Don't ask me why, that's just how it is used.
IP Logged

arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #7 on: Feb 13th, 2009, 1:13am »

on Feb 12th, 2009, 11:13am, omar wrote:
The game time has been shifted two hours earlier.

Thank you very much!
IP Logged
arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #8 on: Feb 13th, 2009, 1:15am »

on Feb 12th, 2009, 4:10pm, Fritzlein wrote:

Sure, look at this article for example:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/125166/windows_vista_release_pushed_back_ to_january_2007.html

When the software was released two months later people say the release was pushed back.  Don't ask me why, that's just how it is used.

Hmm, thanks for that link. Now I see how it is used. In this example is "back" used in term of "to its previous scheduled time" thus using back in my previous post could be ambiguous.
IP Logged
Simon
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1198

« Reply #9 on: Feb 13th, 2009, 2:45pm »

That's not how it's used in that example (Vista was never intended to be so late, I think). Plus, moving something to an earlier time can be called bringing it forward (though it's less common).

I don't know why it's used this way. In the context of a story on time travel, going forward in time definitely means going towards the future, and going backwards in time means going towards the past.
IP Logged
arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #10 on: Feb 14th, 2009, 7:39am »

on Feb 13th, 2009, 2:45pm, Simon wrote:
That's not how it's used in that example (Vista was never intended to be so late, I think). Plus, moving something to an earlier time can be called bringing it forward (though it's less common).

I don't know why it's used this way. In the context of a story on time travel, going forward in time definitely means going towards the future, and going backwards in time means going towards the past.

Thanks for explanation.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #11 on: Feb 15th, 2009, 4:00am »

I use push back and bring forward all the time.

I think the reason for their use is an analogy with a physical situation.  Say you are facing someone, and you push them away from you, you can call it pushing them back.  Here the event is obviously analogous to the other person or object.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB Đ 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.