Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 5:31am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Watch games with mozilla »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Watch games with mozilla
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Watch games with mozilla  (Read 2766 times)
iceflower
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #776

Watch games with mozilla
« on: Oct 13th, 2004, 2:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

i'm new to arimaa. It's a very interesting game. To learn a bit about how to play the game, i just wanted to watch some games. But there's a little problem: When i am in the "watch games" window, and i click on a game, a new window opens with the game. Unfortunately, the window is not resizable, and it is mutch too small to see the entire board. When i want to play myself, the window is too small, too. But in this case, it is resizable, so this is no real problem.

TIA
iceflower.

IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Watch games with mozilla
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13th, 2004, 3:38pm »

I also have had trouble observing games in progress with Mozilla.  It isn't a window resizing problem, though: the game just never loads.  I have had to content myself with waiting until the game is over and replaying it.  Cry
IP Logged

iceflower
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #776

« Reply #2 on: Oct 13th, 2004, 4:54pm »

This is no problem here. The game is shown. Just the window is too small.

iceflower
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #3 on: Oct 13th, 2004, 5:27pm »

what happens if you increase your screen resolution?
IP Logged
iceflower
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #776

« Reply #4 on: Oct 13th, 2004, 5:47pm »

I'm driving my monitor with maximal resolution. But i just tried what happens when i decrease resolution: The window has the same size in pixels. So the visible part of the board stays exactly the same.
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #5 on: Oct 14th, 2004, 7:46am »

I watch with mozilla without any of the problems you describe.  Unfortunately I don't have any helpful advice.  Hermione fixes things like that.  Try ennounciating your spells.

My mozilla problem is that when a game reaches about 25 moves or more, mozilla crashes every 5 minutes or so.  This happens both when I watch and when I play.  I suspect Malfoy trying to cheat.  Omar knows about the crashes during play, but has not had much opportunity to work with mozilla.  I expect this intermittent problem to be difficult to solve.

Ron
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #6 on: Oct 14th, 2004, 10:18am »

Ah now I understand - Malfoy is messing with me as well.  It makes fast games pretty difficult!

I tried Netscape (on a diff computer), and it detects the errors but doesn't crash, just pops up a warning message.
IP Logged
iceflower
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #776

« Reply #7 on: Oct 14th, 2004, 12:42pm »

Hi again,

i just inspected the source of the "watch games" window. There exists this function:

Code:

function openGame(id, role, side){
    open('opengamewin.cgi?gameid='+id+'&role='+role+'&side='+side,'','toolba r=no,width=350,height=250,scrollbars=no,directories=no,location=no,menub ar=no,personalbar=no,resizable=no');
    void('');
}

I think the setting "resizable=yes" would solve the problem.
IP Logged
Belbo
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #476

« Reply #8 on: Oct 14th, 2004, 4:16pm »

Mozilla shows me a warning message after about 20-25 moves, but it doesn´t crash.

But sometimes I have another problem when I start to play or start to watch a game: I can´t see all the pieces on the board (1 or 2 are missing, sometimes 3), but I can still hear the "invisible" pieces moving. If one of my pieces is "invisible", I can´t move it. So I have to quit the game and return again hoping to see all pieces. Once I can see all the pieces, there´s no problem anymore until the end of the game.
Sometimes I don´t have this problem for many days, and then suddenly it appears at some games in a row.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #9 on: Oct 14th, 2004, 6:11pm »

I just changed it to resizable=yes. Let me know if that helps.

BTW: what is the max resolution of your screen. If it is less than 1024x768 the game window won't fit too well on your screen.

Frank I think the problem you mentioned might be due to the flash client not being able to download the images of the pieces after starting up. This is being caused by the network delay and flash timing out on trying to load the image. I'll have to see if something can be done about it.

Omar
IP Logged
iceflower
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #776

« Reply #10 on: Oct 14th, 2004, 8:11pm »

Hi Omar,

Quote:
I just changed it to resizable=yes. Let me know if that helps.

Thank you for that. Now everything seems to be fine.

Quote:

BTW: what is the max resolution of your screen. If it is less than 1024x768 the game window won't fit too well on your screen.

1280x1024. That should be ok. The problem seems to be that you open the window with the parameter "width=350,height=250". At least on mozilla, the flash shows with a size of 620x520, due to the site information (or however this option is named in the english version of mozilla Smiley).

Quote:

Frank I think the problem you mentioned might be due to the flash client not being able to download the images of the pieces after starting up. This is being caused by the network delay and flash timing out on trying to load the image. I'll have to see if something can be done about it.

Do  you mean the problem Belbo speaks of? I don't have that problem. (Or at least i am not aware of until now.)

Frank

BTW: Thank you for your fine work.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #11 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 2:34pm »

Glad that fixes it for you.

I was refereing to Belbo at the end of my last message. Forgot you're also Frank.

Omar
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

« Reply #12 on: Oct 20th, 2004, 11:50am »

Clarification:  I'm using Fedora, the prerelease version of the next Mozilla.

In my latest game, Fedora crashed every move after move 18.  Kind of like trying to get a potion completed in Snape's class.  When I watch, crashes begin after move 20 and are not as frequent.  They are not correlated to a move being made.

I'm interested in the warning message Belbo gets.  Can you tell us what it is?
IP Logged
Belbo
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #476

« Reply #13 on: Oct 20th, 2004, 3:20pm »

The warning was:

[/color]Illegal Operation in Plugin

Shockwave Flash

The plugin performed an illegal operation. You are strongly advised to restart Navigator

[color=Black]

This happened in my last game against Arimaanator at move 21w. Arimaanator thought more than a minute about his move, then the window popped up. After I closed the window, Arimaanator´s move was shown on the board and my clock was already running.

It always happens like this, just before the move is shown.
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

« Reply #14 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 12:50pm »

Thanx, Belbo.

I just got another Shockwave program to crash my Fedora Core 1 in a similar way.  It was likely doing a draw.  It's an intermittent behavior, so my suspicion is that Fedora is doing something to an improper address, probably due to incorect initialization or a bad array index.  I say segmentation fault.  This points the problem squarely at Fedora Core 1 and lets Omar off the hook.

I guess I'll just have to wait until the next version.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.