Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 6:54am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Open Source Server Code? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Open Source Server Code?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Open Source Server Code?  (Read 737 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Open Source Server Code?
« on: Feb 18th, 2005, 11:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Omar,

We all appreciate the tons of time you put into maintaining and improving this server.  But in spite of all your efforts, there are lots of little features which you don't have time to get around to.  Perhaps you are putting off some improvements until things calm down and you have more time, but it looks to me like Arimaa will just keep taking off more and more, keeping up the pressure with feature requests and even increasing it.

What do you think about publishing the server code under an open source license?  Most everyone around here is a programmer.  If the code were open source, then people could give you patches as well as feature requests.  It seems you have a talented and potentially large pool of contributors that you are not tapping, but could.

Maybe you have concerns I haven't anticipated, but I thought I'd at least throw out the idea and see what people think...
IP Logged

PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

Re: Open Source Server Code?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18th, 2005, 11:19am »

I think its a nice idea Smiley
IP Logged
camperman
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #960

« Reply #2 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 2:31pm »

I think it's an excellent idea as well. I'm seriously thinking of writing a Firefox extension as a front end to the server. Flashplayer for Linux always crashes at least once in the middle of any game I play forcing me to reconnect as fast as possible before I run out of time. This makes 1 minute move games pretty tricky   Angry
The server source code could be used as a local testbed for developers as well as being rapidly improved by enthusiasts. While we're on the subject, is there any published protocol spec for how bots communicate to the server?
IP Logged
camperman
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #960

« Reply #3 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 2:32pm »

I think it's an excellent idea as well. I'm seriously thinking of writing a Firefox extension as a front end to the server. Flashplayer for Linux always crashes at least once in the middle of any game I play forcing me to reconnect as fast as possible before I run out of time. This makes 1 minute move games pretty tricky   Angry
The server source code could be used as a local testbed for developers as well as being rapidly improved by enthusiasts. While we're on the subject, is there any published protocol spec for how bots communicate to the server?
IP Logged
camperman
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #960

« Reply #4 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 2:32pm »

Bah - sorry for the dupe...
IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #5 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 7:55pm »

bots communicate via Perl and you can get them usually via request: [email]http://arimaa.com/arimaa/contact/[/email]

(regarding bot interface kit)

I hope thats what you asked for Smiley
IP Logged
camperman
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #960

« Reply #6 on: Feb 21st, 2005, 3:45am »

Aha! Thanks - didn't spot that on the download page.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #7 on: Mar 3rd, 2005, 2:15pm »

Yeah that is a great idea. I think the code can improve much faster with multiple people working on it.

But I better first write up the Arimaa public license that would go with the code.

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.