Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 5:35am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Re: What about simultaneous games ? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Re: What about simultaneous games ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re: What about simultaneous games ?  (Read 911 times)
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« on: Apr 12th, 2005, 6:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I think you underestimate how difficult it would be for Omar to automate this.

However, it is already possible, as long as Fritz is happy to switch windows himself Smiley.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #1 on: Apr 12th, 2005, 9:15am »

on Apr 12th, 2005, 5:27am, Arimanator wrote:
Omar, please don't tell me that this is another figment of my imagination, but I believe that your program could easily be modified to admit simultaneous games.

Someone (would it be Fritzlein by any chance?  Grin ) could initiate a SG and invite a list of opponents, he then would see each board in a certain order and play on each one, one move at a time, that is, when he would hit the send button it would switch automatically to the next board from his point of view with maybe a field telling him what current board he is on. From every one else's point of view it would be exactly as it is now.

I apologize if I was condescending.  It is true I have no idea about your computer background, but "easily modified to admit simultaneous games" is a very strong claim.  It's almost as though if Omar can't do it, he must be incompetent Smiley.  My guess/assessment of the ease of this task is very different to yours - or maybe we simply have a widely different definition of "easy".  Nevertheless, I'm very happy not to debate this, and to leave it to Omar as to whether he can/wants to easily implement your suggested feature.

As for me beating you at arimaa... I don't think we've played yet.  But I have noticed that you are playing very well against my bot, so it may well be time for a game sometime soon if you're up for it.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13th, 2005, 7:01pm »

It is possible, but not so easy that I can do it right away. If someone wants to play simultaneous games and wants this feature, please let me know. Although I probably won't be able to get to it too soon. There are still a lot of more urgent changes I need to make to the client and server software, but haven't been able to do it yet.

Pat, I just want to reassure you that we are fortunate to have a very nice group of people here. So even if something may seem negitive, I can assure you that it was unintentional. If you see that from me, please keep in mind I might have just been in a hurry and it was not intentional.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2005, 7:56pm by omar » IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15th, 2005, 8:04am »

I'm also happy to play a (small) simul some day, but I'll happily switch windows myself - so don't actually need anything changed in order to play it.  To be honest though simuls could be fun but don't enthuse me any more than a good quick game.  When playing players of significantly lower ability I try to play very quickly anyway, just in order to train my thinking a bit.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15th, 2005, 8:24am »

on Apr 14th, 2005, 6:02pm, Arimanator wrote:
By the way I would have liked to have Fritzlein's opinion about this. He is the most likely to use that feature after all.

I'm not sure I would like playing in a simultaneous game.  I usually avoid a challenge because I'm afraid I might lose.  I think that you might have a more willing customer in 99of9: he's the one who gives away half his pieces and still beats a bot, and I'll bet he's the one to beat half a dozen folks at the same time.
IP Logged

PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #5 on: Apr 15th, 2005, 12:05pm »

Paul Lefert and I even played a Blitz-simultaneous game once Smiley

It was really fun, but very hard.

I played several games simultaneous against low ranked bots as well, and must say that I play far worse that way ... actually I might beat them faster one after the other simply because my blunderrate greatly prolonges those games.

Another problem is the possibility to play NULL-moves with one opponent to get back on track with your timer.

As soon as we are talking Windows, there should be no problem (not even a small one) to write an additional programm that monitors the game-windows and does exactly what you want Smiley
(I am sure its easy in other OS's as well - I just dont know how to do it there :-P )

The one thing I dislike for many reasons is the feature to stop the clock when not watching, not because I think anyone would abuse it but because it would make it possible.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.