Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 2:48pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Two small feature requests »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Two small feature requests
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Two small feature requests  (Read 2852 times)
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

Re: Two small feature requests
« Reply #15 on: Jun 17th, 2005, 8:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 17th, 2005, 7:46am, Arimanator wrote:

... the possibility of playing games that wouldn't go on record...

It would simply give the possibility of inhibiting the saving process at the end of the game and it may help promote the game by making some people otherwise daunted by it, play freely until they feel like they can go public with it.

I was always a little irked that unrated games show up in the player's win/loss statistics.  Especially since I enjoy the odd game of botbashing or Lose-Arimaa.

But then again, at least it means it's possible to find and review the games long after they're played.

Quote:

... Bible is polysemic ...

Yes I agree that many verses have lots of layers of meaning, and this may well be one of them - it certainly stopped the religious hierarchy of the time in their tracks!
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2005, 8:31am by 99of9 » IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #16 on: Jun 17th, 2005, 8:51am »

Quote:
"If any of you is without sin, let him be the first to thow a stone at her" (John 8:7 NIV),

I've always hated this quote for two reasons.  First, it says that if you think you are a good person, do this bad thing.  To me, that's sociopathic logic with the aim of exploitive manipulation.  Second, it reinforces a punishment-oriented view of society that I'd rather see modern civilization overcome.  Perhaps I'm not thinking about it as it was intended.  So, what does this have to do with arimaa?  Not very much.  Sorry to waste your time.

Quote:
the possibility of playing games that wouldn't go on record ( unrated games of course) so that if people are bothered by others watching over their shoulder they could play nevertheless.

Because of my own pitiful system limitations and family responsibilities, I can't play very much.  However, I can watch others play even through the browser crashes.  Mostly I like to guess the next move and I'm happiest when the player makes a better move than I would have.  This happens a lot.  I also like watching new players improve.  So it would be bad for me personally to hide games.

Perhaps we need to remind our self-conscious side that people don't hold bad moves against us.  Those who do are making a mistake.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #17 on: Jun 17th, 2005, 9:26am »

on Jun 17th, 2005, 8:51am, RonWeasley wrote:
First, it says that if you think you are a good person, do this bad thing.

I think the point is that nobody is a sinless person.  All the Pharisees realised this when they thought about themselves.  Jesus was the only person in the position to claim this.  (By the way, he chose not to throw a stone either - instead telling her to go and stop sinning.)

Quote:
Second, it reinforces a punishment-oriented view of society that I'd rather see modern civilization overcome.

No no, in context it seems to me that it means exactly the opposite.  The Pharisees were of the strong punishment school (especially against wayward women - but they weren't too keen on punishing their own wrongdoing!).  Anyway, they were about to stone her, and wanted Jesus' backing (thinking this would put him in a tight position since he should affirm Moses' law...)  After that one sentence, they realise their own lowly position, and walk away.  I think this is against taking human vengeance/punishment (and means that the judgement is left to God, which you may still disagree with Ron).  To be honest I'm quite bemused that some Christians support the death penalty.

Quote:
Perhaps we need to remind our self-conscious side that people don't hold bad moves against us.  Those who do are making a mistake.

I agree.  But if it helps self-conscious people enjoy arimaa more, I'm for it.
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2005, 9:29am by 99of9 » IP Logged
naveed
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #110

« Reply #18 on: Jun 17th, 2005, 3:54pm »

on Jun 16th, 2005, 12:00pm, omar wrote:
I've also added the "Invite Me" feature now.

I think the default when someone logs in should be to turn on the invite icon. If someone doesnt want that, they can turn it off as soon as they login. This will probably allow more human human games.  

Quote:

I considered automatically turning off the invite me icon if a player gets busy with an iteractive game, but then thought that someone might still want it on. So for now you have to turn it off yourself if you start a game and don't want to be invited anymore.

Also when I start a game the system should automatically turn off the invite icon and set it back on after the game is over (if it was on before). I can turn it off at this point if I don't want to play more games.

IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #19 on: Jun 28th, 2005, 6:23am »

on Jun 17th, 2005, 3:54pm, naveed wrote:

I think the default when someone logs in should be to turn on the invite icon. If someone doesnt want that, they can turn it off as soon as they login. This will probably allow more human human games.  

It does seem like the number of human-human games have gone down a bit since I added the invite status icon. I'll try out this suggestion to see if it helps.

IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #20 on: Jun 28th, 2005, 1:32pm »

The invite feature is a great idea.  Thanx to Fritzlein for conceiving it and Omar for implementing it.  Omar, you may want to consider having this flag be part of an account's profile.  The default for a new account would be ON.  Assuming most players log in with a consistent invite disposition, the need to change it would be minimized.

I realize this mostly affects only me.  Please don't be concerned.  If the feature stays the way it is now, I can easily live with it.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #21 on: Jul 9th, 2005, 7:59am »

on Jun 28th, 2005, 6:23am, omar wrote:

It does seem like the number of human-human games have gone down a bit since I added the invite status icon. I'll try out this suggestion to see if it helps.

I doubt the recent decline in the number of human-human games has anything to do with the invite icon.  I know that real-world time commitments have interfered with my ability to play, and I expect other people are equally affected for unpredictable duration.  Also two sources of human-human games, namely the postal tournament and the lightning tournament, have petered out.  Also the upsurge in botbashing interest may have drawn attention away from human-human games.  Also the feuding between PMertens and Arimanator may have distracted them from trying to win Player of the Month.

Don't worry: the cycle will turn around again.  The decline this summer isn't as serious as the decline last summer, and there was a huge rebound from that decline when the championship cycles approached.  Furthermore we now have a larger part-time playing pool of humans, more permanent bots available, better server features, and more ways of participating.  The sport of Arimaa may pause for breath, but I'm confident it will soon leap to new hieghts.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.