Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 4:41pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Re: Something is wrong »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Re: Something is wrong
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re: Something is wrong  (Read 773 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« on: Jul 20th, 2005, 8:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Omar, I don't know anything about Linux, but is there some way to make the P3 and P4 bots politely give up resources to other bots, and essentially only run when nothing else is going on?  It seems that P3 and P4 are (a) fixed preformance, so it doesn't matter how long they take to move and (b) moving slowly anyway, so a little slower won't hurt, and (c) have super-long time controls, so they won't time out from being self-deprecating.

I think it is a neat experiment to play against P4, but not if it is going to interfere with many other bot-bashing experiments for the next several months.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2005, 2:50pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #1 on: Jul 20th, 2005, 11:18am »

There is a 'nice' command in unix which allows setting the priority of a process to a lower level. I'll try that and if it helps.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20th, 2005, 8:15pm »

Apparently the "nice" command is working, because BombP3 has thought for 12 hours and counting on its current move, after never taking more that half an hour up until now.  Smiley

[edit] The total thinking time for P3 this move was 23:36:31, for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2005, 8:24am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20th, 2005, 9:25pm »

But has there really been sufficient other load on the computer to delay P3 for that long?
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #4 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 3:42pm »

Actually the process which polls to see if it is the bots turn and starts the bot had died. So I had to restart it. That why it took so long to make the move.

I did some of my own tests with the nice command. Wrote a small program that computes for about 30 seconds. I run the program under nice with the lowest priority setting and it still took about 30 seconds (sometimes even less Smiley. I tried it at various different times and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. Maybe my program needs to run for a longer time.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.