Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 11:20am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Beginner bots and beginners »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Beginner bots and beginners
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Beginner bots and beginners  (Read 672 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Beginner bots and beginners
« on: Sep 25th, 2005, 1:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Omar,

Now that the beginner bots are online, what are the requirements for beginners?  I'm just wondering if it is easy for them to get started.

[EDIT] I just tested this, and it seems that newcomers can't play any games at all, because the server keeps telling them to play unrated games first.  Either that block should be removed, or ShallowBlue needs to come back on line.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2005, 2:01pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Arimanator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1064

Re: Beginner bots and beginners
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25th, 2005, 2:41pm »

Another possiblility is for the unrated flag to be on for a beginner until he gained the right to play rated games.

Also a written list of the weaker bots for beginners would be nice bot Loc p1 for instance shouldnt' cause much more difficulties than Shallowblue and could be a suitable replacement.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2005, 2:45pm by Arimanator » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 25th, 2005, 4:09pm »

on Sep 25th, 2005, 2:41pm, Arimanator wrote:
Another possiblility is for the unrated flag to be on for a beginner until he gained the right to play rated games.

That's a good idea, but it would require an additional change.  At present a newcomer with his unrated flag turned on is still be unable to sit down against a bot offering a rated game.  Therefore newcomers are in a bit of a catch 22.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2005, 4:10pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

grey_0x2A
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #1358

« Reply #3 on: Sep 25th, 2005, 4:15pm »

on Sep 25th, 2005, 2:41pm, Arimanator wrote:

Also a written list of the weaker bots for beginners would be nice bot Loc p1 for instance shouldnt' cause much more difficulties than Shallowblue and could be a suitable replacement.

umm as a beginner I whould like to say the Loc p1 kicks my butt but, that
shallowblue and arimaaton are push overs for me. There is a shortage of lower level bots above the (shallowblue & arimaaton) level IMHO. I do not know what the other noobs/week players think though.
IP Logged
nbarriga
Forum Guru

Almost retired Bot Developer

« Reply #4 on: Sep 25th, 2005, 4:40pm »

I quickly managed to beat shallowblue and arimaalon, but it took me a while to be able to beat arimaazilla. I think we need an intermediate bot between arimaalon and arimaazilla.
IP Logged
nbarriga
Forum Guru

Almost retired Bot Developer

« Reply #5 on: Sep 25th, 2005, 4:56pm »

on Sep 25th, 2005, 4:40pm, nbarriga wrote:
I quickly managed to beat shallowblue and arimaalon, but it took me a while to be able to beat arimaazilla. I think we need an intermediate bot between arimaalon and arimaazilla.

I changed my mind Smiley I just played bot_Loc2005P1 and i think it maybe fills the gap between arimaalon and arimaazilla.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #6 on: Sep 26th, 2005, 1:26pm »

Actually I plan to put the beginner bots online again. I was suspecting that maybe the bot scripts are going crazy sometimes on the new server and causing the network overload which seems like a DOS attack. Since I've had them offline we haven't had the problem; so there is reason to think that it could have been caused by the bot scripts. I will be putting them online again with logging turned on. If the network overload problem occurs again, hopefully the logs will help me trace down the problem.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #7 on: Sep 26th, 2005, 1:32pm »

We had touched on the topic of replacing the beginner bots with other ones to add more variety to the style of play and more gradual steps between the strength of the bots. I think we definitely should do that. I would also like to include the beginner bots in the matchOffline kit. We had considered using the *2005P1 and *2005P2 bots as the replacements. But I now think it would be better if we create the beginner bots from the sampleC bot that is currently provided in the matchOffline kit. That way we can have full control over the source code of the beginner bots in case I ever need to recompile it from scratch on a new system and also to make it open source in the matchOffline kit. Also we would have full control over the evaluation function and can tweek it as needed to adjust the strength and style of the bots. Some of the bot developers here are already very familiar with the sampleC bot code and could probably help in creating these beginner bots.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.