Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 9:58am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Bot Ladder feature »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Bot Ladder feature
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Bot Ladder feature  (Read 4208 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: Bot Ladder feature
« Reply #30 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 2:09am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Feb 20th, 2006, 8:46am, Ryan_Cable wrote:

PS  Instead of having the script run once per hour, you should have it run whenever a game ends, if that is possible.  Games between the non-Clueless P1/P2/Blitz bots often only take a few minutes, so the server will often be sitting idle.

I did consider this when I was writting that script, but I decided not to for a couple of reasons. I didn't want the recent games page to be filled with just the BB games and the recent HH games pushed off the page. This is not a problem now since we can select out the HH games. The other reason was so that the bot's opponents would not be too many other bots; it should be a fairly equal mix of humans and bots.

IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #31 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 2:34pm »

Factoid:  Arimaalon is now the lowest-rated bot by 100 points, not because it is the worst, but because it isn't a part of the bot ladder, and therefore doesn't get the infusion of newbie inflationary points that ShallowBlue and GnobotP1 are getting.  It gets beaten down by other bots, but doesn't get pumped up by the noobs.  Another argument for Ryan's new rating model?
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #32 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 6:04pm »

Thanks for pointing this out Karl; I had forgot to put Arimaalon on the bot ladder.
IP Logged
frostlad
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #1704

« Reply #33 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 8:15pm »

What about arimaazon? that was the bot that I was missing playing. I know that I can go play it in the bots page but it also isn't on the bot ladder. Just thought I'd point it out.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #34 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 7:44am »

Thanks for adding Gnobot2006 to the ladder, Omar.  You are really working overtime!
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #35 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 4:26pm »

Don't forget to add your results to the botbashing table as they come.  Otherwise we'll have to hunt through them later.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #36 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 8:43am »

on Feb 22nd, 2006, 8:15pm, frostlad wrote:
What about arimaazon? that was the bot that I was missing playing. I know that I can go play it in the bots page but it also isn't on the bot ladder. Just thought I'd point it out.

Arimaalon takes more than 30 sec to move. I've tried to include only bots which move fast on the ladder. It seems that people perfer playing bots that move fast over ones that move slow. It makes sense since people usually don't have a lot of time for a game. For humans a fast moving bot can actually feel harder than a slow moving bot if the human is also forced to move fast. Although I would say it a different kind of hardness; it requires faster thinking and reaction time as opposed to deep, strategic thinking.

But you can always play any bot directly from the bot list page.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #37 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 8:46am »

on Feb 24th, 2006, 7:44am, Fritzlein wrote:
Thanks for adding Gnobot2006 to the ladder, Omar.  You are really working overtime!

Yes, and I just finished adding all the bots except Bomb.

You can thank Ryan for motivating me Smiley
IP Logged
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #38 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 4:31pm »

I'll add another vote to the need for some mechanism to get past simple bots more quickly, at least in light of last night's addition of 6 or so more low-end bots to the ladder.

I had worked my way up to the 1500-level bots, but when I logged on last night I now had to fight my way past  ArimaaScoreP1, ArimaaScoreP2, Arimaalon, Aamira2006P1, and GnoBot2006P1 to get back to anything interesting.  They were all trivial to beat, but it took about three hours of time.

Possible ideas:
* Only one win required.  (I disagreed before with this suggestion, but with as many bots as we have now, it seems more reasonable).
* An option to skip any bot whose rating is N points (100?) or more below your own.

The second one has an intriguing feature.   If you jump ahead of bot A using it but then lose a couple of games against more difficult bot B, your rating will fall ... and you may find that you have to fight bot A after all.   The system is self-correcting in that sense.  

It would still make it possible to keep adding interesting bots to the ladder as they are created, without making the ladder too long and cumbersome.
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2006, 4:32pm by IdahoEv » IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #39 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 1:57am »

I like the rating skipping suggestion.
IP Logged
Ryan_Cable
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #951

« Reply #40 on: Feb 27th, 2006, 3:01am »

ShallowBlue just reappeared ahead of me in my ladder.  Based on the Recent Games, it seems like it reappeared ahead of other people who have beaten it twice as well.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #41 on: Feb 27th, 2006, 12:12pm »

I assumed it appeared ahead of me because all 12 of my wins against ShallowBlue were unrated.
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #42 on: Feb 27th, 2006, 12:51pm »

I assumed it appeared ahead of me because Malfoy was trying to insult me.  As long as everyone else got equal treatment, I guess it's OK.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #43 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 1:54pm »

Decided to change the bot ladder again. The ladder was getting too tall with all the new bots, so I broke it up into levels. Also changed it so that only one win is needed to move past the bot; with so many bots two wins was getting a bit execessive. Initially I was think of removing the 2005 bots and keeping it two wins, but now I think having more bots but only one win is better. Also decided to strictly require beating the lowest rated bot (within a level) to move up to the next one to preserve the concept of climbing the ladder one rung at a time.

The player info page now has a link to show you where the player is on their ladder.
IP Logged
Ryan_Cable
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #951

« Reply #44 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 4:40pm »

The Arimaa Bots Available to Play links for bot_Loc2006P2, bot_Loc2006Blitz, and bot_Loc2006Fast all bring up pages titled bot_Loc2006P1 Control Page (the URLs are correct though), which do in fact start bot_Loc2006P1.  As a result, when trying to start bot_Loc2006P2 from the Bot Ladder page, I get an error message in the popup window and bot_Loc2006P1 appears in the Gameroom.

Also, I played bot_Clueless2006P1 as the last bot I needed to beat to advance past Level 2, but then it reappeared above me as the first bot of Level 3.

Otherwise, the new level system seems to be very good.  I especially like the tips at the top of the page.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.