Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 28th, 2024, 3:07pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « New home page »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   New home page
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New home page  (Read 2954 times)
seanick
Forum Guru

SeaNICK

seanick
Email

Re: New home page
« Reply #15 on: Jun 19th, 2006, 10:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I agree (re: play now). It's annoying now to go to other sites and not see that link, anywhere on the front page. Maybe it is a good idea for people to read the rules first but being the type that only reads the manual once something is already broken, hoping to find info on how to fix it, I haven't exactly got the right mindset to study something BEFORE playing. Smiley

I noticed the front page is switched out. Looks a lot better IMHO.  

NICK
IP Logged
Mathias
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #1830

« Reply #16 on: Jun 19th, 2006, 2:55pm »

I just wanted to add that I'm always willing to update my German translation. It contains some of the old stuff, so we might update these pages as well. However, the translated pages haven't been the same as the Arimaa home page then, so let me know what exactly to translate.

Mathias
IP Logged
nbarriga
Forum Guru

Almost retired Bot Developer

« Reply #17 on: Jun 19th, 2006, 2:56pm »

I found a bug in the homepage when viewing in opera 9 (i haven't tried 8.54, but i guess it's the same).

Here is the screenshot: http://www.alumnos.inf.utfsm.cl/~nbarriga/arimaa.jpg
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jun 19th, 2006, 3:41pm »

on Jun 19th, 2006, 2:55pm, Mathias wrote:
I just wanted to add that I'm always willing to update my German translation.

Woah, cool!  Omar, maybe you could fly a miniature German flag on the home page so German-speakers would click on it and get linked to Mathias' translation.
IP Logged

nbarriga
Forum Guru

« Reply #19 on: Jun 19th, 2006, 4:35pm »

I just noticed there already is a menu to select the language, and the spanish version is awfull. I will translate it this week when i have some time and send it to omar as soon as possible.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jun 19th, 2006, 5:01pm »

Haha, I totally missed the language menu.  Yes, it would be great to get updates of the out-of-date pages in different languages, but maybe also the language selector could use some work.

When I'm at a non-English site, I look for a flag of England or the U.S. to click on.  If there isn't a picture for me to click, then how will I know what to do?  I have no idea what is Spanish for "Select Language", so I couldn't read instructions telling me how to get to the English page if they were there!
IP Logged

nbarriga
Forum Guru

« Reply #21 on: Jun 19th, 2006, 9:16pm »

Usually, the menus have the languages in the original languages. I'm confused, so here's an example:

English
Español
Français
IP Logged
Mathias
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #1830

« Reply #22 on: Jun 21st, 2006, 6:44pm »

on Jun 19th, 2006, 2:56pm, nbarriga wrote:
I found a bug in the homepage when viewing in opera 9 (i haven't tried 8.54, but i guess it's the same).

It also appears in 8.54. The bug can be overcome by not only assigning the table cell and the iframe height=100%, but also the table itself and the table row, thus:

<table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 height=100%>
<tr height=100%>
<td height=100%>
<iframe src="navbar00.htm" frameborder=0 align=middle width=100 height=100% xscrolling=no></iframe>
</td>

instead of

<table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0>
<tr>
<td height=100%>
<iframe src="navbar00.htm" frameborder=0 align=middle width=100 height=100% xscrolling=no></iframe>
</td>

should work fine. Tested with Opera 9.00. I don't know if this is a bug in Opera or in the website code, but then, the HTML is not valid anyway...
Also, I only confirmed that it "looks good" (at first glance) in Opera 9.00, not in other browsers, and I don't know if it breaks other things. Beware...  Wink

Mathias
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #23 on: Jun 25th, 2006, 2:42pm »

Thanks for the HTML patch Mathias. I've included it and it seems to work OK with FireFox and IE as well.

I like the idea of using flag icons for different language translations. As far as what to translate, I think the new main page and the Javascript tutorial page should be enough.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.