Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 2:51am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Tutoring system for beginners? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Tutoring system for beginners?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Tutoring system for beginners?  (Read 550 times)
leo
Forum Guru

Tutoring system for beginners?
« on: Dec 19th, 2007, 6:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I see some beginners try a first game against a bot, get puzzled, and quit to never return. While this may be a sign of poor dedication, I also think that playing a bot is not necessarily the best first contact with the game, or any game in general, and I'm wondering if the gameroom could include a tutoring system, a list of tutors -each with the language(s) they speak- available for unrated postal games where the chat would give some humanness and the ability to answer newbie questions. I'd volunteer for this in spite of my very low rating.
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

Re: Tutoring system for beginners?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19th, 2007, 11:36pm »

This would be nice to see but might suffer because a tutor probably wouldn't be online when a beginner wants to try out there first game.

I think it would be really cool if someone could set up an interactive tutorial like the one for go at http://playgo.to/interactive/ I found that extremely helpful learning the basics of go. Unfortunately I'm afraid it would also take a huge amount of work to set up.

Janzert
IP Logged
leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #2 on: Dec 20th, 2007, 11:28pm »

Nice Go tutorial indeed... Omar has already put some very good things in the Learn section for the beginners to chew on, a well crafted Flash intro and the puzzles. Going further into strategy would require tremendous work though as you said.

The postal tutoring I imagine would be suited for only a category of beginners, those who never "read the manual". Tongue But I realize that such a slow way might be doomed to failure. One of the advantages of playing on a physical board is the propagation of enthousiasm, a joy that is less easy before a screen.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30th, 2007, 9:24am »

Sometimes I wonder if having a video tutorial that covers the game rules and another that covers how to use the game client would make it easier for people to learn the game and get started. Of course we would have to have different videos for different languages. Hosting the videos isn't a problem these days with so many video hosting sites.

IP Logged
leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #4 on: Dec 31st, 2007, 1:42am »

The gameroom interface is pretty easy to get familiar with especially for those who like to click everywhere to observe what happens, but a gameroom introductory video would be helpful anyway. I could help translating it into French. I could also help translating the interface itself but this would require setting up a multilanguage site system, which might become a nightmare with translations lagging behind the changes in the underneath technical stuff.
IP Logged
Werner
Forum Senior Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 4th, 2008, 6:36am »

Get Bomb to play with them.
IP Logged

\
W Mueller
Forum Newbie

Dept of Risk Management

« Reply #6 on: Jan 4th, 2008, 9:20am »

Bot_BombP1?  Grin
IP Logged

Werner Mueller. TOKYO & HONGKONG.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.