Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 3:42pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « JavaScript Game Client »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   JavaScript Game Client
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: JavaScript Game Client  (Read 2649 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

JavaScript Game Client
« on: Sep 10th, 2009, 9:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have been using every chance I could get over the last few weeks to work on the JavaScript game client. It is finally in a usable state now and can be accessed from the Settings - Game Client page. I've used it just now to watch a few games and play a quick game against Soter. It seems to be pretty stable.

Now time to catch up on the forum Smiley
IP Logged
tize
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3121

Re: JavaScript Game Client
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10th, 2009, 12:02pm »

I tried it in game 116687, and I it worked almost flawless. The only glitch that I noticed was that the button U<, U<<, R>, R>> and pass disapeared when I should make my move 28s, they then reappeared for the rest of the game.

The same problem in game 116693 at move 26g.

I didn't like was that the goal lines where highlighted, but maybe it just takes sometime to get used to...

It's nice to be able to play arimaa without flash, thanks. And I really liked the new concept of the setup.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2009, 12:15pm by tize » IP Logged
arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #2 on: Sep 11th, 2009, 10:14am »

on Sep 10th, 2009, 12:02pm, tize wrote:

I didn't like was that the goal lines where highlighted, but maybe it just takes sometime to get used to...

I don´t like that highlighted goal lines too. It is pretty disturbing.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Sep 16th, 2009, 8:55pm »

I think I fixed the problem with the buttons not showing up sometimes. Let me know if anyone else see this problem again.

The colored goal rows really help with showing the orientation of the board especially if there are few pieces left in the game. I really like it with the colored goal lines. Maybe it takes a little getting used to.  

I am also considering coloring the trap squares with different colors Smiley

I should probably add a button to turn on/off the colors.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17th, 2009, 1:53pm »

I tested the javascript client against akimot.  It worked for me without a hitch.  Some first impressions:

* The Vw and Vb button labels should definitely be changed to Vg and Vs.  Let's get away from black and white entirely.
* I like the setup of clicking on two pieces to swap them, but it isn't obvious what to do in the absence of instructions.  I think I would have a slight preference for the V2 method of placing pieces one by one, except that the order of placement should be EMHHDDCC instead of EMHDCHDC.  But the swap-pieces style is fine too once it becomes clear what to do.
* The new noises are fun.
* I like the retention of expert mode, and I like that the "really send" confirmation when in expert mode is gone.
* I didn't notice the goal line highlighting much, but if there were a toggle button, I would toggle it off.  Omar, you are the only one who needs highlighting to keep the orientation straight, because you are the only one who likes to view the board from the side.  But thanks for admitting that the side view confuses you too!  Tongue
* I like the retention of different playback speeds.
* I like the button labels U< and U<< for undo step and undo move respectively.

All in all, it will be great to have another client option, because there will probably a class of users for whom this client is more stable than any version of the Flash client.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 19th, 2009, 2:26pm »

Just now I was playing game 117655 against TheJeh with the Javascript client.  Starting around move 70, the client began to malfunction and not send the move when I hit send.  I had to reload to get my move sent.  After that happened three times in eight moves I switched back to the Flash V2 client.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #6 on: Sep 19th, 2009, 9:02pm »

on Sep 19th, 2009, 2:26pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Just now I was playing game 117655 against TheJeh with the Javascript client.  Starting around move 70, the client began to malfunction and not send the move when I hit send.  I had to reload to get my move sent.  After that happened three times in eight moves I switched back to the Flash V2 client.

Bummer. I wonder what caused that. I've been using it for all my games now and didn't have any problems yet. If it happens again; type /log in the chat area and email me the log file. Don't post it here; it will be too long.

If anyone knows JavaScript feel free to view the source and provide any suggestions.
IP Logged
doublep
Forum Guru

Badger author

« Reply #7 on: Oct 13th, 2009, 1:49pm »

Please make it remember sound settings and speed.  It's annoying to turn off sound all the time and adjusting speed, especially in blitz games.
IP Logged
tize
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3121

« Reply #8 on: Oct 14th, 2009, 12:32pm »

Is it possible for a page to know if it's opened in a new window or if it's opened in a new tab? If it is possible I would like the game client not to resize the window when it's opened in a new tab. Just a minor itch but it would be nice.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #9 on: Oct 18th, 2009, 7:12am »

doublep: thanks for the suggestion. I've put it on the todo list.

tize: I think I looked for a way to do that once, but didn't find any possible way. Would be nice if there was a way to distinguish.

IP Logged
doublep
Forum Guru

Badger author

« Reply #10 on: Oct 18th, 2009, 7:43am »

tize: BTW, at least in Firefox, you can forbit any scripts to resize existing windows in browser preferences.
IP Logged
tize
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3121

« Reply #11 on: Oct 18th, 2009, 1:18pm »

Thanks a lot doublep, I don't know why I didn't look in the preferences before. It's not perfect but at least my main window stays the way I want to.
IP Logged
PhilomathBret
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #2167

« Reply #12 on: Nov 3rd, 2009, 7:13pm »

I tried playing with Javascript for the first time. I clicked "start" and it just automatically set up my pieces with all rabbits in back and wouldn't let me choose how to set up.

And what is Expert Mode?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 3rd, 2009, 8:38pm »

on Nov 3rd, 2009, 7:13pm, PhilomathBret wrote:
I tried playing with Javascript for the first time. I clicked "start" and it just automatically set up my pieces with all rabbits in back and wouldn't let me choose how to set up.

Click on two pieces to swap them.

Quote:
And what is Expert Mode?

It's a way to plan without opening a separate plan window.  With expert mode on you can play moves for both sides to see how a line will work out.
IP Logged

PhilomathBret
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #2167

« Reply #14 on: Nov 13th, 2009, 5:05am »

Using Javascript to play for the first time, I hit "Send" when my timer had 6 seconds left. It just let me run out of time. My opponent told me that it said to him I had 6 seconds left but said Time. How is it possible to unrate games?  

Also I was confused about how to set up the first several times I tried using Javascript. I thought it wasn't letting me set them up.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.