Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 12:37pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Help: Game started without an opponent. »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Help: Game started without an opponent.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help: Game started without an opponent.  (Read 1224 times)
rozencrantz
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #4007

Help: Game started without an opponent.
« on: Jun 23rd, 2010, 9:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm not very familiar with this site's clients yet, and I seem to have somehow started a game without an opponent (why is this possible?)

I don't know the name for which client I'm using, it's the one where you set up by swapping pieces, not the one where you set up by placing one piece at a time.

Is there some way I can fix this? What happens in 20 days when the timer runs out? Will it quietly scrub the game, or will it divide by zero to calculate the rating change against a nonexistent opponent?
IP Logged
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

Re: Help: Game started without an opponent.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24th, 2010, 2:55am »

You have made an open table at the gameroom, for a 1d/ move postal game.  Anyone else can choose to sit down at your game to be your opponent.  (You can see it in the Open Games section.)

Put another way, instead of inviting a specific person to play, you have issued an open invite for anyone to accept.
IP Logged

Harren
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #3619

« Reply #2 on: Jun 24th, 2010, 3:53am »

I remember I did something similar the very first day I joined this site Smiley I probably thought at the time that I would immediately be paired to someone else. As it happened, someone quickly joined, which started my first game against a human player. (unfortunately it ended eventually on time, because I was away for a few weeks)

Still, such a postal game was a good way for me to start playing with humans, because I was less likely to make all the stupid mistakes one makes in the beginning with the extra thinking time available.
IP Logged
rozencrantz
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #4007

« Reply #3 on: Jun 24th, 2010, 12:00pm »

I meant to open a table, I didn't mean for the timer to start right away (before someone sat down). As it happens, someone did sit down. Thanks for the help.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 24th, 2010, 1:44pm »

on Jun 24th, 2010, 12:00pm, rozencrantz wrote:
I meant to open a table, I didn't mean for the timer to start right away (before someone sat down). As it happens, someone did sit down. Thanks for the help.

Aha, the starting of the timer may be a server bug.  Some years ago in the Postal Mixer, I noticed that it was unfair for Gold's time not to start right when the games were created.  We had players waiting two weeks to make their first move, without their clocks running.  Since then Omar changed it to have all the clocks start automatically.  What you observed about the clock starting before you even have an opponent is probably an unintended side-effect of the fix Omar implemented for the postal tournament.
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #5 on: Jun 25th, 2010, 5:08am »

on Jun 23rd, 2010, 9:22pm, rozencrantz wrote:
I seem to have somehow started a game without an opponent

The only thing worse is to somehow lose that game.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #6 on: Jun 26th, 2010, 6:53am »

on Jun 24th, 2010, 12:00pm, rozencrantz wrote:

That's strange, the timer should not have started. For the postal games I have to run a program to start the timers, it doesn't just happen, so it can't be due to that. I'll check it out and see if I can reproduce this.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.