Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 1:26pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Handicap game proposals »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Handicap game proposals
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Handicap game proposals  (Read 1246 times)
pago
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5439

Email

Handicap game proposals
« on: Jul 18th, 2010, 2:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,

All little rabbits like me would dream to beat big elephants as Fritzlein or chessandgo  Roll Eyes

One of the interest of go game is that rules allow a handicap without changing the spirit of the game (for chess, it is less obvious, a rook removal changing the game to much).

A fair handicap would allow an interesting game for rabbits who would not lose every time and for elephants who would have to play powerfully to hope a win.

I would like to propose three kind of handicap game.

1) Shogi-like handicap
It is the most obvious. The idea would be to remove pieces according to ELO differences.
For example the ladder could be :
a) rabbit removal
b) cat removal
c) dog removal
d) horse removal
e) camel removal
f) elephant removal
g) two pieces removal
h) three pieces removal
m) eight pieces removal
Maybe could I hope to resist against the elephants at the last handicap

2) Go-like handicap.
In Go there are an handicap system with additional stones to the weaker player. It is equivalent to let the weaker player play x moves (in the french rules it is written like this).
I Arimaa we could imagine to give Gold to the weakest player and allow him to play x additional steps at the beginning.
Note that even 12 steps would only allow o directly trap only one piece (using this handicap in such a way would probably far to be optimal)

3) Arimaa-like handicap
In think that this handicap would be more funny and more in the spirit of Arimaa.
The idea would be to allow to the weaker player to choose the initial place of some pieces of other side.
a) 1 rabbit place  
b) 1 cat place  
c) 1 dog place  
d) 1 horse place  
e) camel place
f) horse place
g) two pieces place
h) three pieces place
m) eight pieces place

The additional interest is that handicap game would allow the exploration of some odd placement.

Imagine that you could play a game against the Elephants letting them a position like this one :
RRRRHHME
CCDDRRRR

They would have some hard work to egalize the position... (even if I am sure that I would lose against them.

Finally we could mix two kind of handicaps (2+3 for example)
IP Logged
hanzack
Forum Senior Member

lalala...I'm singing a song of arimaa.

Re: Handicap game proposals
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18th, 2010, 5:42am »

Bonjour, pago!
I agree with your ideas, but even at present ,everyone
can play the shougi-like handicap and the arimaa-like
handicap if you want to,and I used to play in such ways.
I mean you can throw away some pieces or select disadvantagerous set-up at your will.

But the Go-like handicap looks like very interesting Shocked

And Your proposals are only related to the beginning,
so I want handicaps which have been suffering from disasvantages during playing to be exited.

I belive there is nothing boring other than one-sided
games.  

I also posted about handicaps. So please take a look at them.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=siteIssues;action=disp lay;num=1279421720

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=siteIssues;action=disp lay;num=1279418701

Smiley
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #2 on: Jul 18th, 2010, 3:49pm »

Against Fritzlein or chessandgo, I recommend n) the eight rabbit handicap.  That's the only way you have a chance.  If you're FyzixST, you still might lose.
IP Logged
pago
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5439

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 19th, 2010, 12:53am »

8 rabbits handicap is a good mean to grip a draw against Fritzlein and Chessandgo... but no more  Shocked

A "less" unbalanced 8 piece handicap (for beginners) could be 4 rabbits + 2 cats + 2 dogs. I am aware that it is an extremly huge handicap but those guys shouldn't be so strong !  Tongue

I really feel that an handicap system could add some interest to the gameroom. They would allow balanced game between players of different strenght and could be used as a kind of teaching games.
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #4 on: Jul 19th, 2010, 1:12pm »

on Jul 19th, 2010, 12:53am, pago wrote:

8 rabbits handicap is a good means to grip a draw against Fritzlein and Chessandgo... but no more  Shocked

Actually it'd be an immediate win, since a player loses the game as soon as he loses his last rabbit.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #5 on: Jul 19th, 2010, 1:23pm »

on Jul 19th, 2010, 1:12pm, Arimabuff wrote:

Actually it'd be an immediate win, since a player loses the game as soon as he loses his last rabbit.

In that wording it would not be win, but simulation by current rules would not be possible.

But the rule ... "If a player has no rabbit, the game is over and the player with a rabbit wins. If there is no player with rabbits the player to move loses." ... would immediately apply.

In the first wording the game may be interesting, allowing either immobilisation or elimination win to stronger player.

So stronger player loses goal win condition while weaker player loses elimination win condition.

7RC would be bigger handicap in that case.
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2010, 1:25pm by Hippo » IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.