Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 9:50pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Game viewer / analysis tool »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Game viewer / analysis tool
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Game viewer / analysis tool  (Read 63129 times)
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

Re: Game viewer / analysis tool
« Reply #105 on: Oct 25th, 2010, 8:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have one easy thing for to_do list ... the shadow mode ignores piece color (orientation), it would be more natural to have silver pieces flipped.

... I am going to use it now Smiley import, save, load functions work well so it's really ready to use Smiley. Thanks

BTW: Could I flip the board to look on it from the silvers perspective?

Next one with really low priority: Renaming future for saved games would be helpfull.
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2010, 8:52am by Hippo » IP Logged

clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

« Reply #106 on: Oct 25th, 2010, 8:54am »

Thanks for reminding of that shadow / ghost thing.

The following is for all that is going to use the viewer:

Even though the save/load should work, it's still in testing phase, so there could be problems. So please export the textual notation to a file if you would get angry for losing data.

Also, since I will update the viewer from time to time, the most secure way for you is to get the sources from Bitbucket (right top corner), and have the viewer completely locally.

All this just for precaution. I don't want anyone to get to situation where there is lots of accumulated data but everything is wiped off to bitdust.

EDIT: I will add your request to the issue repository (flip board / renaming).
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2010, 9:03am by clojure » IP Logged
camelback
Forum Guru

Arimaa perl monger

« Reply #107 on: Oct 28th, 2010, 9:26am »

I got this post by searching "client" in Arimaa forum Grin  
WOW!!! What a great tool! I don't have words to describe how awesome it is.

So far I used save and load feature of David Fotland's arimaa.exe for analysis. Now I moved to Ubuntu I was desperately looking for a new tool.

This is 1000 time better than what I hoped for. I would say this is the best thing to improve one's game.

Great job Clojure! Keep up the good work.

THANK YOU
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #108 on: Oct 28th, 2010, 9:54am »

on Oct 28th, 2010, 9:26am, camelback wrote:

So far I used save and load feature of David Fotland's arimaa.exe for analysis. Now I moved to Ubuntu I was desperately looking for a new tool.

Not at all to decrease the value of clojure's new tool, but FYI you can still run David Fotland's program in Ubuntu by using Wine. Let me know if you need help installing.
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2010, 9:57am by rbarreira » IP Logged
clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

« Reply #109 on: Oct 28th, 2010, 11:54am »

on Oct 28th, 2010, 9:26am, camelback wrote:

WOW!!! What a great tool! I don't have words to describe how awesome it is.

This means a lot to me. :') Thanks for the support!

And if I get to implement all my fantasies, it should really help to study Arimaa. A book I'm reading is giving me confidence that I'm on right track when I'm going towards a platform that helps to maintain ideas and also combine them. The author calls it "liquid network" http://www.amazon.com/Where-Good-Ideas-Come-Innovation/dp/1594487715
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2010, 11:55am by clojure » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #110 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 6:01pm »

I expect it is too late for last-minute code changes; this comment is for after the festival.

I had entered a sub-line for move 3g.  Today I went to add another alternative, and it appeared in three places on my screen.  In the notated output, my third 3g appears only once, but on the tree view it shows up three times.  I am pasting the notation here in case it will allow the bug to be reproduced.

Code:
1g  Ra1 Rb1 Cc1 Rd1 Ce1 Rf1 Rg1 Rh1 Ra2 Hb2 Mc2 Dd2 Ee2 Df2 Hg2 Rh2
 1s "Adanac consistently experiments with small setup variations. Here M position slightly weakens west, strengthens east."  ra7 mb7 rc7 ed7 he7 rf7 hg7 rh7 ra8 cb8 rc8 dd8 de8 rf8 cg8 rh8 "Silver EHH setup in response today would be more committal than my experimentation two years ago."
 2g "Silver setup deters EH attack on either wing; Gold probably wants lone-E attack or EMHR attack in west."  Ee2n Ee3n Ee4n Ee5w "Reasonable to get the gold E towards an M or R pull as part of a lone-elephant attack, while constraining the silver E."
 [ 2g  Ee2n Ee3n Ee4n Hg2n "Standard opening only really targets h7 rabbit pull, not EH attack." ] 2s "Silver has no way to stop a R pull and is thus very anxious for counterplay." @xa6=A @xb6=A ed7s dd8s hg7s hg6s
 3g "Gold has radically divergent strategic choices."  Hg2n Hb2n Mc2n Cc1n "Gold improves four pieces and asks Silver to commit."
 [ 3g  Ed5w Ec5w Eb5n Hg2n "Gold can aggressively pursue a rabbit pull without ceding b3." 3s @xg2=B @xb6=A ed6s dd7s rc7e mb7e
 4g  Eb6w Ea6s ra7s Hb2n
 ] [ 3g  Ed5e Ee5e hg5s Ef5e 3s @xg3=A @xf6=A ed6e ee6s ee5s ee4s
 4g  Eg5n Eg6n rf7s Eg7w
 ] 3s "When both camels are on the same wing, both elephants usually want to be there too."  ed6w ec6s ec5s cg8s "Silver fears a swarm against c6."
 4g "Big question throughout the game: Which wing does gold M want to be on? Silver M is committed; Gold M may choose. "  Mc3e Md3e Me3e Rd1w "Fourth step should consider Ce1n as well as the rabbit shift."
 4s "The gold M is now opposite the silver HH. Silver has achieved nothing but asymmetry and tension."  ec4e ed4e ee4e de8w "Building a phalanx on d7 is not strictly necessary; Cg7s is a useful alternative."
 [ 4s  ec4e ed4e ee4e cg7s 5g  Ed5n dd7n Ed6n Mf3w
 5s  ef4w ee4w Me3n mb7s

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2010, 6:01pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

« Reply #111 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 6:31pm »

It looks fine to me. Just to be sure, it is different from this?

Thanks for the notation. Different from the problem you are having, it seems that copy-pasteing directly causes problems. I need to copy-paste, cut, and paste again to get it to work. There's some weird characters probably.

Btw. did you notice that I earlier asked for a similar notation for the deletion bug, since I couldn't reproduce that. It should delete childrens under the node being deleted.

I probably won't do any changes to the client. It is too risky. Thank you for giving well informed reports.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2010, 6:31pm by clojure » IP Logged
clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

« Reply #112 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 6:35pm »

Did you try to import it after refreshing the browser? It would help to know if it gave same or different view.

Don't feel obliged to answer especially soon. You probably have much more interesting stuff to do =)
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2010, 6:44pm by clojure » IP Logged
qswanger
Forum Guru

Email

« Reply #113 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 8:30pm »

Henrik, you da man dude!   Grin

Awesome work!

I remember you saying when you first started this project that you're currently unemployed (which is why you have the time to devote to it). Is that still your situation, or have you managed to find something? With your skills, talent, hard work, and dedication I can't imagine someone would not want to hire you. Are the job prospects really that slim in Finland?
IP Logged
clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

« Reply #114 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 9:12pm »

on Oct 29th, 2010, 8:30pm, qswanger wrote:
Henrik, you da man dude!   Grin

Haha Cheesy

Great to hear you appreciate!

Quote:

I remember you saying when you first started this project that you're currently unemployed (which is why you have the time to devote to it).

I would say that it has helped that I'm indeed unemployed but it wasn't prerequisite to get it done to this point. Mainly the question has been that I feel motivated, and it springs from the community's need and that I like to create stuff, especially when I don't need to argue with invalid business logic.

Quote:
Is that still your situation, or have you managed to find something? With your skills, talent, hard work, and dedication I can't imagine someone would not want to hire you. Are the job prospects really that slim in Finland?

It's complicated Cheesy I resigned myself from the job because of merging of two companies. It came as surprise, and before it I was preparing to decrease my work time so that I could do more creative stuff.

The question is multidimensional why I'm not yet at work. Let's just say that I haven't found my niche where environment, people and technical aspects are what they should. One recent prospect is that some friends of mine are founding a startup (they are getting fed up, too). But it depends a lot of the content whether I will accept a position there.

I fantasize that I could create a game like Braid; game that is like a good piece of art and gives player new experiences that happen inside his head. Or maybe research on AI for board games but I wouldn't really like to involve with university bureaucracy and its somewhat bizarre atmosphere (the competition for funding, success is too important, not creativity, ego clashes, teaching content is too much tied up with industry practice).

I have come to conclusion by reading quite a lot and having difficulties with accepting the norms, that I will have a life where I don't compromise my ideals; whether that leads to a quick dead-end, I don't know, but at least I won't stress out for insignificant matters, as I do in normal working environment.

But what comes to Finland in general, I think the current situation is kinda good. There are available positions for programmers but I'm not sure how many people are competing for them.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2010, 9:17pm by clojure » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #115 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 11:50pm »

on Oct 29th, 2010, 6:31pm, clojure wrote:
It looks fine to me. Just to be sure, it is different from this?

Yes, it was different from your screen shot.  The third variation appeared in three places.  I wish I had given you a screenshot, because now I am not only failing to reproduce the error, I am entirely failing to import the annotation from my earlier post.  I can't get it to appear any way, either right or wrong.

Quote:
Thanks for the notation. Different from the problem you are having, it seems that copy-pasteing directly causes problems. I need to copy-paste, cut, and paste again to get it to work. There's some weird characters probably.

I tried the copy-paste-cut-paste method, and that didn't work either.  But I don't think the issue is merely with getting text from the forum into the browser, because I am also having the same problem with both text files I exported and saved since the tree weirdness first appeared.  I can't get them to import at all, or if I can import it is just the two setups with no comments and no subsequent moves.  Also the locally saved game will only import the two setups with no comments and no subsequent moves.

I am, however, able to import the text file I exported and saved from two versions previously, i.e. before the tree display went weird on me.  I will try now to bring that up to speed.

Quote:
Btw. did you notice that I earlier asked for a similar notation for the deletion bug, since I couldn't reproduce that. It should delete childrens under the node being deleted.

Sorry I missed that request.  From now on I will be the model bug reporter, with a text file export and a screenshot every time.

Quote:
I probably won't do any changes to the client. It is too risky.

Yes, that seems wise.  In fact, in the vein of not taking any risks, when I get my current commentary caught up, I will not only export the text file, but also leave the browser open all night so that importing tomorrow can't be an issue.  You shouldn't have to touch a thing.  Of course any instability is my fault for not beginning my testing and for not completing my entry of commentary plus variations sooner in advance of the event.   Smiley
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2010, 12:19am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #116 on: Oct 30th, 2010, 12:18am »

OK, as soon as I tried to re-enter the new variation into my "last known good" annotation file, the same bug reappeared, so I thought I would do the bug report right this time.  The screen shot and exported move file are here.
IP Logged

clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

« Reply #117 on: Oct 30th, 2010, 4:01am »

Thanks! It did load for me correctly for the first time without any problems whatsoever. Which felt kinda great, since that is so big text Smiley

On the other hand, it didn't for you. It might be a bit hard to guess what's going on. I will see what I can do Cool

I think one way I could find a problem is to use copy from this thread since that needed the copy-paste trick.
IP Logged
camelback
Forum Guru

Arimaa perl monger

« Reply #118 on: Oct 31st, 2010, 1:12am »

on Oct 28th, 2010, 9:54am, rbarreira wrote:

FYI you can still run David Fotland's program in Ubuntu by using Wine. Let me know if you need help installing.

Thank you very much for the offer. I have tried giving wine to laptop, but it gets so intoxicated that it slows down everything  Grin  
I decided no wine anymore and go with native tools only.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #119 on: Oct 31st, 2010, 10:28am »

By the way, during the workshop, did anyone manage to import the movelist I pasted to the Arimaa Wiki?  Did anyone try to import and fail?
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.