Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 28th, 2024, 4:24pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Arimaa data availability in case of emergency »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Arimaa data availability in case of emergency
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Arimaa data availability in case of emergency  (Read 645 times)
clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

Arimaa data availability in case of emergency
« on: Sep 16th, 2010, 2:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It seems that people are quite interested in analyzing data, and how Arimaa play has evolved. If Arimaa becomes a classic one day, it is even more crucial that data from day one is available.

So, what happens if there is emergency situation that either destroys server data, or something happens to the server administrator. I'm sorry if this sounds naive and insulting but I'm concerned.

So is there backups for all data that matters? I'm not sure if server side code matters but that would be at least quite inconvenient and might temporarily drop activity around Arimaa. It's probable that the game archive data is downloaded already by many users but it would be nice if there was more secured alternative.

The  open source project for new server side code would address part of this.

What do you think?
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: Arimaa data availability in case of emergency
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16th, 2010, 6:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The arimaa.com server has a second disk to which the data is backuped up each night. So if there is a disk failure the backup disk can be used to restore the site. I used to also do a weekly backup to a remote server, but the amount of data on the server has grown to over 70 GB (for a complete disk image) so I stopped doing that. I need to get a second dedicated server at another ISP and start doing remote backups again.

I also need a technical person who would be able to run the site if I'm not able to. Knowledge of administering CentOS Linux, configuring Apache, MySQL, and programming in Perl, Python, PHP, and Ruby would be a big plus. If anyone would like to volunteer for this please send me a message:
  http://arimaa.com/arimaa/contact/

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.