Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 8:24pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Automatic interactive game scheduler »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Automatic interactive game scheduler
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Automatic interactive game scheduler  (Read 1175 times)
camelback
Forum Guru

Arimaa perl monger

Automatic interactive game scheduler
« on: Mar 24th, 2011, 3:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have an idea for a game scheduler that runs every few minutes, checks for on-line players and based on their preferences try to create games between 2 players and notifies them.  

Game preferences can be opt-in/out, various time controls, rating difference between players (100,200, any) , rated/unrated, color etc., It can set along with auto postal settings.

Once the pairing is done, players can accept or reject it. They may get next pairing the next time scheduler runs.  

Scheduler can be configured not to create games before or during an event game. It is also possible that tournament organizers can configure groups of players in scheduler so that pairing between players in 2 different groups is feasible (for AWL) or a specific time control games are created for players joining a blitz tournament.

I think this has several advantages and will be successful just like auto postal. Since many infrastructure is already in place, I guess its easier for me to implement it.  

Please provide your comments and suggestions.
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

Re: Automatic interactive game scheduler
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24th, 2011, 3:39am »

This has been on my mind for a while for the AWL. We're thinking of piloting a format whereby all players from both teams are present at the same time for a single collaborative game. Would your idea help with this?
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2011, 3:45am by megajester » IP Logged

camelback
Forum Guru

Arimaa perl monger

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24th, 2011, 5:10pm »

As I understand your idea is to modify the game client to have many people collaborate and play the game at the same time. That is a different topic than the one discussed here. As of now I can't help much with that idea   Sad
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 25th, 2011, 1:26am »

I'm sorry perhaps I should have been clearer...

We already have all the necessary infrastructure to implement a collaborative game. We used it in the Online Festival. The problem is finding a time that will work for the the majority of players in the two teams paired. The way it stands now the captains of the teams would have to manually check the scheduler times for each of their players, and liaise with the opposing team's captain. This would be too much work.

So my question is, would your idea help captains with this task?
IP Logged

camelback
Forum Guru

Arimaa perl monger

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25th, 2011, 11:53am »

oh yes! definitely that is in my plan Wink

Team captains can provide two lists of players and games can be scheduled between each player in the list based on their preferences. Let me start writing down a detailed specs and publish in the wiki.
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 27th, 2011, 11:52am »

on Mar 25th, 2011, 11:53am, camelback wrote:
oh yes! definitely that is in my plan Wink

Team captains can provide two lists of players and games can be scheduled between each player in the list based on their preferences. Let me start writing down a detailed specs and publish in the wiki.

Would it be possible for team captains to provide two lists of players and for the system to find one time that would be convenient for everybody? Don't forget, we're trying for collaborative matches...

Omar, any thoughts?
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #6 on: Mar 28th, 2011, 2:32pm »

on Mar 24th, 2011, 3:29am, camelback wrote:
I have an idea for a game scheduler that runs every few minutes, checks for on-line players and based on their preferences try to create games between 2 players and notifies them.  

Game preferences can be opt-in/out, various time controls, rating difference between players (100,200, any) , rated/unrated, color etc., It can set along with auto postal settings.

Once the pairing is done, players can accept or reject it. They may get next pairing the next time scheduler runs.  

Scheduler can be configured not to create games before or during an event game. It is also possible that tournament organizers can configure groups of players in scheduler so that pairing between players in 2 different groups is feasible (for AWL) or a specific time control games are created for players joining a blitz tournament.

I think this has several advantages and will be successful just like auto postal. Since many infrastructure is already in place, I guess its easier for me to implement it.  

Please provide your comments and suggestions.

Yes, this is definitely needed. I had been thinking about something like this also. What I had in mind was a matching program that would look at which players have their invite flag turned on and try to match players for a live game. The invite setting page would be extended to specify opponent rating range and the speed of the game (Blitz, Fast, Quick, etc). It's great that we now have predefined game speeds; previously it was a mess trying to figure out how to specify the speed of the game; now check boxes can be used to select the preferred game speeds from the predefined speeds. If a match is found the program would create the game between the two players (so it shows up under their 'My Games' section) and send a pop-up to the players; similar to when someone challenges them to a game. The program should keep track of the pairing it has made recently and  try to avoid repeat pairings. This would allow players to just turn on their invite flag and get automatically paired with others that have also turned on their invite flag and match the preferences for rating range and game speed.
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2011, 2:51pm by omar » IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #7 on: Mar 28th, 2011, 2:47pm »

on Mar 27th, 2011, 11:52am, megajester wrote:

Would it be possible for team captains to provide two lists of players and for the system to find one time that would be convenient for everybody? Don't forget, we're trying for collaborative matches...

Omar, any thoughts?

Joel, I've been think about the program that we will need for the next World League though I haven't started on the implementation. I think what we need is a program that given a list of players, looks at their preferred times and generates a list of time slots ordered by best to worst; with the score of the slot being the number of players who have selected that slot and ties broken by the sum of the preference given to the slot. I am planning to setup a web page where the team captains can paste the names of their players into a text area box and submit the form to get the list of ordered slots.
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 28th, 2011, 3:02pm »

on Mar 28th, 2011, 2:47pm, omar wrote:

Joel, I've been think about the program that we will need for the next World League though I haven't started on the implementation. I think what we need is a program that given a list of players, looks at their preferred times and generates a list of time slots ordered by best to worst; with the score of the slot being the number of players who have selected that slot and ties broken by the sum of the preference given to the slot. I am planning to setup a web page where the team captains can paste the names of their players into a text area box and submit the form to get the list of ordered slots.

OK sounds good. I hope it's not too much work.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.