Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 5:04pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Opponent timed out, but I lost »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Opponent timed out, but I lost
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Opponent timed out, but I lost  (Read 706 times)
knak
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #4724

Opponent timed out, but I lost
« on: Apr 21st, 2011, 9:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The bot timed out, then, several seconds after the clock ticked to zero, the bot moved its pieces, and the table showed that I lost.  Linked is an screenshot of the table at the end. http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/5396/picture1nc.png

IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Opponent timed out, but I lost
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21st, 2011, 10:57am »

Let me guess that your client lost connection to the game room, so that it didn't know it was your move.  This used to happen to me all the time, although I have never seen it reconnect just in time to tell me that I lost, so maybe it is something different.

Anyway, if it is a connection problem, there is no solution, only two ways to mitigate.

First, make sure you unrate the game before playing any more.  Menu item Navigation -> Games -> Unrate Game.

Second, the next time you are playing a bot that moves at a somewhat predictable speed, and the bot is taking longer to move than you expect, consider hitting F5 to refresh the client, in case it is really your time ticking down and not his.

I know that these measures don't actually solve the problem, and only make it slightly less annoying.  Sorry!  Sad
IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26th, 2011, 2:40pm »

You can also try changing the game client (under settings).  I was having a similar problem, and have switching clients I have had very little trouble.  The JavaScript client works better for me, but I think it depends on your browser and internet connection.
IP Logged

knak
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #4724

« Reply #3 on: May 2nd, 2011, 2:00pm »

I think that it might have been the client....   Nombril, what OS and browser are you using?  

I'm doubtful that I simply lost connection and timed out because the time-out occurred after not enough time had passed for my clock to count all the way down, even if the bot had moved very quickly.  (The bot was regularly using all but 20s of its time, and I believe its time before the last move was about 1m). The other reason I don't think it's just what Fritzlein suggests is that the other times that what he described have happened (lost connection causing a timeout), the client shows my time as being zero, not the opponents.  
IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 2nd, 2011, 9:33pm »

I'm using the JavaScript client in Firefox 3.6.17 on a Mac.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.