Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 9:42am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Javascript vs. Flash Client »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Javascript vs. Flash Client
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Javascript vs. Flash Client  (Read 2794 times)
mistre
Forum Guru

Javascript vs. Flash Client
« on: May 31st, 2011, 9:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I recently gave the latest Javascript client another go since Omar voiced in another thread (I can't find it now) that he would like to stop supporting the Flash client at some point.  

There are some things that I prefer with the JS client, but other things that I still like better with Flash Client V1 (V2 is not very good due to the fuzziness of the pieces).

What I like better about Flash V1:

1) The overall layout of the buttons is better layed out and visually appealing.  Most importantly, the send button is much larger making it easier to click in a blitz game.  The player and time info in the JS client is smushed together and quite ugly.
2) I don't like the orange ? in the upper left hand corner in the JS Client that pops up a text box that it is your turn to move after every move.  Is this really needed?
3) Must the F3, C3, F6, and C6 in the traps be seen when playing the game?  This is fine for planning mode, but it is visually distracting otherwise.  At least they could be made smaller.
4) As mentioned before - the blue square problem is an annoyance, but if nothing can be done about it - I can live with it.
5) This is a personal preference, but I don't really see what making the back rows gold and silver really adds to the game and for me it visually detracts from the sharpness and contrast of the board and the pieces.
6) The sounds I will call even (I like both sets - it would be cool to have an option to switch between the two).

I am not sure who created the Javascript client, but any improvements to it would be greatly appreciated if the Flash Client is going to cease to exist.

Thanks,
Mark

IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

Re: Javascript vs. Flash Client
« Reply #1 on: Jun 1st, 2011, 12:34am »

Just by the way, I would like to strongly recommend that whichever client is preferred and developed, the older ones are allowed to remain on the site for the benefit of those using computers that either can't handle JS or where users don't have the admin permission needed to install Flash.
IP Logged

Eltripas
Forum Guru

Meh-he-kah-naw

« Reply #2 on: Jun 1st, 2011, 9:18am »

V1 is horrible, slow and the time counter is weird, V2 is the best for me but it doesn't have a game plan, JS is decent but the blue square problem is annoying.
IP Logged
Swynndla
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1821

« Reply #3 on: Jul 8th, 2011, 5:05pm »

I have a gaming mouse, and it's really sensitive, and I get the blue squares often and it's such that I can't move unless I do several clicks to get rid of all the blue-ness (the clicks have to be at the side of the board and several clicks, and those clicks the mouse isn't allowed to move at all or the problem gets worse).  I've lost on time a few times when I've had easily enough time (usually) to make a move the the blue squares of death meant I couldn't move.  Other than that, I like the JS version a lot.
IP Logged
Nazgand
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6461

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 9th, 2011, 11:17am »

on Jul 8th, 2011, 5:05pm, Swynndla wrote:
... and I get the blue squares often and it's such that I can't move unless I do several clicks to get rid of all the blue-ness...

Fixed! Simply add this attribute to the boardspan element.
Code:
style="-webkit-user-select: none;
-khtml-user-select: none;
-moz-user-select: none;
-o-user-select: none;
user-select: none;"

You can do this yourself in most browsers, but I will message omar.
Edit: I must admit I rather like having unselectable squares.
« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2011, 11:25am by Nazgand » IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #5 on: Jul 9th, 2011, 5:17pm »

Wow, thanks for posting the solution to this. I've been looking for something like this for a while. You must be a CSS guru.

I've modified the client and it seems to work. Awesome !!!
IP Logged
Nazgand
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6461

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 9th, 2011, 11:00pm »

The BSoD has been demolished! Viva la revolution! (Blue Squares of Death, though Orange SoD in Ubuntu)
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #7 on: Jul 10th, 2011, 2:57am »

WOW, after pressing F5 blue squares disappeared Smiley ... in chrome, but not in mozilla Sad ... but in mozilla the squares are transparent enough...
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2011, 3:01am by Hippo » IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #8 on: Jul 10th, 2011, 4:20am »

I confirm what Hippo said, in Firefox 3.6.18 (Linux) I still see the selected squares.
IP Logged
dree12
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #4082

« Reply #9 on: Jul 10th, 2011, 1:39pm »

Firefox 3.6 is an outdated browser... I don't think it even supports moz-user-select (that was added in 4.0?). That's like using IE6 and complaining the entire thing glitches...
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #10 on: Jul 10th, 2011, 2:13pm »

on Jul 10th, 2011, 1:39pm, dree12 wrote:
Firefox 3.6 is an outdated browser... I don't think it even supports moz-user-select (that was added in 4.0?). That's like using IE6 and complaining the entire thing glitches...

Yeah except IE6 is about 8 years older than the first release of Firefox 3.6 Tongue Apparently Ubuntu 10.04 doesn't upgrade beyond 3.6 by default...
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2011, 2:14pm by rbarreira » IP Logged
dree12
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #4082

« Reply #11 on: Jul 10th, 2011, 3:07pm »

4 major versions of IE have been worked on since IE6 (7, 8, 9, 10). In contrast, 5 have been since FF3.6: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. (These are: FF 5.0 RTM, FF 6.0 Beta 1, FF 7.0 Aurora, FF 8.0 Nightly). Sure the FF version numbers are screwed up, but when you think about it there isn't that much difference.
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #12 on: Jul 10th, 2011, 3:31pm »

This is a pretty silly argument, but let me just say that Firefox 4 shows the same behavior (under Windows in this case). But it came out 4 months ago so I guess it's a dinosaur already Tongue
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2011, 3:33pm by rbarreira » IP Logged
dree12
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #4082

« Reply #13 on: Jul 10th, 2011, 4:04pm »

Yeah, not working here either. Probably a firefox bug since document.getElementById("boardspan").style.MozUserSelect is "none".
IP Logged
Nazgand
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6461

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 10th, 2011, 7:59pm »

It does not work in Firefox 5.0 either. Aparrently, it is not an inherited property in Firefox. Try changing the mozilla part:
  Code:
function makeUnselectable(node) {
    if (node.style) {
        node.style.MozUserSelect = "none";
    }
    var child = node.firstChild;
    while (child) {
        makeUnselectable(child);
        child = child.nextSibling;
    }
}
makeUnselectable(document.getElementById("boardspan"))

I tested it, and it works.
Edit: any other browsers having problems?
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2011, 8:06pm by Nazgand » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.