Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 9:39am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Confused and Frustrated about Takebacks »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Confused and Frustrated about Takebacks
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Confused and Frustrated about Takebacks  (Read 2539 times)
mbogosian
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #7989

Confused and Frustrated about Takebacks
« on: Aug 15th, 2012, 6:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have searched the board, and I (now) understand that "request takeback" is a buggy and controversial feature that has been disabled for rated games. There is no mention of any of this in the Wiki as far as I can tell. However, even in unrated games that I play, the button appears disabled.  

I can't find any authoritative documentation on this, and trying to figure out why it's there and how it's used is extremely frustrating.  

There have been several occasions in casual games where either I have or my opponent has accidentally submitted a half-finished move. We would gladly allow a takeback in that context, but we are left to resign the game and reproduce our turns one-by-one in a new game to emulate a takeback.  

Can someone please explain to me where and how takebacks work (or don't)?  

Thanks very much.

(I originally posted this under "General Discussion", but after consideration, I thought it was more appropriate here. My apologies for any confusion this may have caused.)
IP Logged
clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

Re: Confused and Frustrated about Takebacks
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15th, 2012, 7:00pm »

I seem to recall reading somewhere that takebacks are enabled only in games with no time limit.
IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
mbogosian
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #7989

« Reply #2 on: Aug 15th, 2012, 7:13pm »

on Aug 15th, 2012, 7:00pm, clyring wrote:
I seem to recall reading somewhere that takebacks are enabled only in games with no time limit.

This seems like an arbitrary constraint (especially with Postal Games). Does anyone remember why they must be without a time limit? Again, a takeback may be emulated (albeit with difficulty) in all situations I can conceive (by replaying up until the desired move).
IP Logged
clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15th, 2012, 7:17pm »

on Mar 29th, 2009, 12:16pm, omar wrote:
The unlimited time postal mode was designed for teaching. It allows taking back multiple moves. The game of course has to be played in unrated mode.

Feel free to invite me to such a game.

Here is the relevant quote.
IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
mbogosian
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #7989

« Reply #4 on: Aug 17th, 2012, 2:49pm »

Thanks for digging that up, but it seems to be in direct contradiction to this error received by new players (who are likely most in need of tutelage):

Quote:
No Time Limit Game

Use the back button of your browser to return to the previous page.

New players must play 10 interactive games before playing no time limit games. Please select an interactive game.

Huh

A further nitpick is that I am able to initiate an untimed game with someone who is unable to participate in it.

<TwoCents>This probably doesn't affect most of the people currently playing (who are not bound by these limitations or who no longer want takebacks), but this seems to be a nonsensical, arbitrary, and artificial barrier which will alienate new players. Again, I have to wonder about the wisdom of killing the takeback feature an any setting when: 1) it requires the acceptance of the opposing party anyway (and they could agree beforehand or during setup not to honor each others' requests); and 2) takebacks can be emulated by starting a new game and replaying until the desired takeback point. It just makes no sense to me to limit this functionality in any way.</TwoCents>
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2012, 4:25pm by mbogosian » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.