Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 6:29am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « "Opening up" Arimaa.com »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   "Opening up" Arimaa.com
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: "Opening up" Arimaa.com  (Read 6390 times)
rabbits
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1337

Re: "Opening up" Arimaa.com
« Reply #15 on: Jan 7th, 2014, 8:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I just posted some static files that I designed two years ago to the internet:

http://arimaaland.com

That's just conceptual work though.

Let's build a website.
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #16 on: Jan 8th, 2014, 12:42am »

on Jan 7th, 2014, 8:30pm, rabbits wrote:
I just posted some static files that I designed two years ago to the internet:

http://arimaaland.com

That's just conceptual work though.

Let's build a website.

I agree these pages look cool Wink
IP Logged

mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #17 on: Jan 8th, 2014, 3:11pm »

Nice work Rabbits!  It would be nice to have a website like that that wasn't the eyesore that is Arimaa.com.  I am tired of looking at the pale purple color scheme.

If you need help with the site, I would be willing to try.
IP Logged

rabbits
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1337

« Reply #18 on: Jan 8th, 2014, 7:58pm »

Okay, here's the plan then.  My brother and I will do some hacking, and I'll give access to you (mistre) and others who want to help a month or so from now.

Here's what to expect in terms of technology use:  The server will run on the NodeJS Javascript platform using the ExpressJS web framework.  The database will be MongoDB.  Search will be done with ElasticSearch.  Redis will store session data.  CSS will be built with Grunt and Bootstrap so that it renders well on mobile devices.  WebSockets (through socket.io) will be used for chatroom/gameroom/client/etc communication.  Git will be used to manage the code, and a private repository will be at BitBucket.org.

Initially, this will just be a research project.  It will serve to educate me and the others involved.  It will be private/personal until Omar wants it to be more public.

How's that for an initial plan?  Good?  Good.  See you in a month.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2014, 9:47pm by rabbits » IP Logged

cvic
Forum Senior Member

ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #19 on: Mar 15th, 2014, 9:22am »

on Jan 8th, 2014, 7:58pm, rabbits wrote:
Okay, here's the plan then.  My brother and I will do some hacking, and I'll give access to you (mistre) and others who want to help a month or so from now.

Here's what to expect in terms of technology use:  The server will run on the NodeJS Javascript platform using the ExpressJS web framework.  The database will be MongoDB.  Search will be done with ElasticSearch.  Redis will store session data.  CSS will be built with Grunt and Bootstrap so that it renders well on mobile devices.  WebSockets (through socket.io) will be used for chatroom/gameroom/client/etc communication.  Git will be used to manage the code, and a private repository will be at BitBucket.org.

Initially, this will just be a research project.  It will serve to educate me and the others involved.  It will be private/personal until Omar wants it to be more public.

How's that for an initial plan?  Good?  Good.  See you in a month.

Sounds great. Any news? Do you need volunteers?  
IP Logged

Kushiel
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #9913

« Reply #20 on: Sep 15th, 2014, 4:30pm »

Can anyone provide an update with what happened to the January initiative?  

Assuming that developing another site or changing the arimaa.com website are both infeasible, a backup method for improving visuals is to create an alternate style through "https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/stylebot" or similar software with a css-style sheet that will at modernize the site as much as possible without actually changing html.

Then sticky a link to it in a section of the forum that new people will likely see? I know it's not optimal because it doesn't change the first impression of anyone who finds arimaa.com through the web and it also won't improve functionality in any way but I think it has 2 distinct positive use cases.
1.) It looks nicer for people who use it every day (yay!).
2.) if someone looks over my shoulder at college at what i'm doing, they'll see a cool, modern site and may be more likely to check it out for themselves, at which point I could link them both arimaa.com and the skin so their first experience is also positive. Also if i direct someone to come check out the site myself, if i can get them to install the extension first then their first experience will be good as well.
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2014, 4:35pm by Kushiel » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.