Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 4:53pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Postal games »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Postal games
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Postal games  (Read 6432 times)
hyperpape
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7113

Postal games
« on: Jun 12th, 2013, 1:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I signed up for postal auto-pairing at the end of April, and haven't been assigned any games. Are all the postal players occupied by the postal mixer, or is there a problem with pairing?  

I have a gameroom rating of 1596, signed up to have up to 2 opponents, within 200 points of me.
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2013, 1:33pm by hyperpape » IP Logged
supersamu
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7523

Re: Postal games
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12th, 2013, 3:58pm »

When I started signing up for postal games, I got my first opponents pretty soon after that. I had a comparable rating back then. This is probably a site issue. You could try to sign up for 3 games and hope there was a glitch. I don´t think all available players are occupied with the postal mixer.
Maybe you should contact omar directly about that, because he doesn´t always read the forum.  
Or you could make a new game under "play now" -> "create open game" and try to get opponents this way. But this game wouldn´t count towards your event rating.
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2013, 4:06pm by supersamu » IP Logged

hyperpape
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7113

« Reply #2 on: Jun 13th, 2013, 11:45am »

Good to know: I had not made the connection that you could open individual postal games.
IP Logged
hyperpape
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7113

« Reply #3 on: Jun 25th, 2013, 7:58pm »

Can anyone confirm that they are being paired?
IP Logged
robinz
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6110

« Reply #4 on: Jun 26th, 2013, 2:35am »

Nope - but I can confirm that I'm not.

(I'd have inquired much earlier, but I still have 3 ongoing postal mixer games to keep me busy...)
IP Logged
harvestsnow
Forum Guru

« Reply #5 on: Jul 15th, 2013, 6:19pm »

on Jun 12th, 2013, 3:58pm, supersamu wrote:
Or you could make a new game under "play now" -> "create open game" and try to get opponents this way.

Games started this way seem to time out pretty quickly if nobody will notice and accept them. There is a workaround: take the gold pieces, start the game and make the first move. Your opponent's turn will begin immediately, giving him a small time handicap, but at least you may have one and settle that later if need be.

Otherwise, I suppose you could start a dedicated thread and ask people to challenge you.

[late edit:
It's actually not necessary to make the first move. Starting the clock is enough.]
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2013, 3:15am by harvestsnow » IP Logged
robinz
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6110

« Reply #6 on: Aug 18th, 2013, 12:34am »

It looks like this still hasn't been fixed. My last Postal Mixer game finished yesterday, so I currently have a big void of being involved in no Arimaa postal games at all - I think for the first time in the 2+ years since I first signed up for Autopostal  Sad

Does anyone know what the problem is, and if and when we can expect it to be resolved? I know that I could start some games as suggested above, but I much prefer getting automatically paired against someone with a similar rating to mine  Smiley
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #7 on: Aug 18th, 2013, 4:35am »

I recommend using the Contact form on the website, since Omar does not always look at the forum:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/contact/
IP Logged
supersamu
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7523

« Reply #8 on: Aug 20th, 2013, 4:04am »

I am signed up in the Autopostal for 1 game, and at one point in the last 15 hours, I got an opponent.
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #9 on: Aug 20th, 2013, 4:56am »

on Aug 20th, 2013, 4:04am, supersamu wrote:
I am signed up in the Autopostal for 1 game, and at one point in the last 15 hours, I got an opponent.

OK, I have refreshed the autopostal status of me and my bot to see what happens.
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #10 on: Aug 20th, 2013, 5:39am »

on Aug 20th, 2013, 4:56am, Hippo wrote:

OK, I have refreshed the autopostal status of me and my bot to see what happens.

And according to the e-mail my bot is I am paired from today 5:07 in another time zone ... so during 11 minutes (it was 12:07 here). (Actually the game was already rejected).

BTW: with the time shift suggested for my location the posts in this forum are shown with time 1 hour in past.
I suppose it does something with daylight saving time.
« Last Edit: Aug 20th, 2013, 5:52am by Hippo » IP Logged

robinz
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6110

« Reply #11 on: Aug 20th, 2013, 11:45am »

I also got a new pairing today, in the early hours of this morning (UK time). But when I opened it I got a page saying "expired game". I don't know if this means that my opponent cancelled the game before moving (although that has happened to me before and I don't recall seeing that page), or if it means there is still something amiss with Autopostal pairings.
IP Logged
ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #12 on: Aug 20th, 2013, 3:53pm »

on Aug 20th, 2013, 11:45am, robinz wrote:
I also got a new pairing today, in the early hours of this morning (UK time). But when I opened it I got a page saying "expired game". I don't know if this means that my opponent cancelled the game before moving (although that has happened to me before and I don't recall seeing that page), or if it means there is still something amiss with Autopostal pairings.

I had the same experience Smiley  I didn't cancel it as far as I know.  There might be a problem.
IP Logged

icke
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #7818

« Reply #13 on: Aug 28th, 2013, 3:18am »

Hello,

I came here to ask exactly what's being discussed in this thread. I started with Arimaa a couple of months ago and played a few postal matches. Then, because of a lot of stuff going on in my life I stopped playing for a while.

I came back a few weeks ago, set me up for three postal games within 250 points of my rating, and have so far gotten one match out of it. When I wanted to play said match, it was already expired.

I hope this gets fixed soon, I'll try the contact form as well.
IP Logged
hyperpape
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7113

« Reply #14 on: Aug 30th, 2013, 8:45am »

I just recently got a match, I should note. I did sign up for more than one, but there's evidence that we're not going totally unpaired.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.