Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 5:01pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Favourite strategies to beat a human »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Favourite strategies to beat a human
« Previous topic | No topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Favourite strategies to beat a human  (Read 1208 times)
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

Favourite strategies to beat a human
« on: Sep 3rd, 2003, 12:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just to preserve symmetry, this post was put up in the bot forum... Which if any of these apply to humans?  Are there other easier ways to beat humans?
Quote:

What's your favorite strategy to beat a bot?  I've seen several:  

1) get an advanced rabbit with some strong pieces nearby, and sacrifice a lot of material to distract the bot while you creat an unstoppable goal threat  

2) Outplay it around the traps and get ahead in material.  

3) Keep your own pieces back and force it to come to you, then pin its pieces near your traps defending each other, so you have an advantage on the rest of the board.  

I think #2 is the most common for humans.  The distraction bit of #1 doesn't really work on humans.  #3 can still work (It's been used on me at least Smiley ... naveed), but it's harder to draw humans I think.

Here are some alternatives I've seen especially in the end game:

A) Set up multiple threats, eventually your opponent will lose track of all the pieces he is using to defend them all, and will nicely move out of your way (won't you naveed! Smiley).

B) Push one attack forward and make your opponent sweat so much over defending it that he loses other pieces in the meantime.  Or if you're not gaining pieces that way, suddenly abandon that attack at a time of your choosing to gain the positional advantage somewhere completely unexpected.
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2003, 12:06pm by 99of9 » IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: Favourite strategies to beat a human
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11th, 2003, 11:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Exchange trap squares; capture pieces at the opponents trap squres while your pieces are also captured at your trap square. After the dust has cleared, just make sure you can reach goal before your opponent; otherwise your gone Smiley This type of games ends up being very risky and doesn't always work. But it sure gets your adrenaline flowing; humans tend to go for it such games much more than bots.

Omar
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | No topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.