Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 4:38pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Arimaa scoring function discussion »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Arimaa scoring function discussion
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Arimaa scoring function discussion  (Read 5154 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Arimaa scoring function discussion
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 8:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I had forgotten about this thread, because there haven't been any draws, and because the time cutoff hasn't been even remotely an issue except for the speedy vs. speedtrap games.  What exactly is the current situation?  Do we still have the score formula?  If I recall correctly, a game has reached time cutoff exactly once, which suggests that changing the rule isn't urgent.  Also I recall that for that one time the score formula picked the wrong side as the winner, so I guess one might as well change it.

One tidbit from this thread that is interesting in hindsight is this:

on Sep 20th, 2004, 12:35pm, 99of9 wrote:

The prevalence of draws will also depend on which strategy eventually predominates.  Specifically, is it better to drag opponent's rabbits, or try to drag opponent's big pieces?  As far as I can see, both have their advantages and disadvantages, and no one strategy has become universal.  If the answer is that dragging rabbits is better - then there might be many more arimaa draws.

I think the games have stopped their trend of getting longer and longer, because a third possible opening strategy is in play, namely attacking an opposing trap.  Just to see whether styles in the opening are having an effect, I divided my database up in four equal parts, and then looked at average game length for games decided by "m" or "g", first over all games and then over games with both players over 1700.  Here are the results:

Q1Q2Q3Q4
All games23.430.633.232.8
Over 170030.838.044.546.3

So the average game length has actually decreased slightly of late, although it is still rising slightly for games between top players.  Anyway, the fears of 80-move games becoming routine have not yet materialized, and probably won't until multi-piece attacks in the opening are refuted.
IP Logged

MrBrain
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #344

Re: Arimaa scoring function discussion
« Reply #16 on: Dec 24th, 2004, 6:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I don't think the issue is as much that games will reach high numbers of moves, but rather that if we want short games (say ones that are done in 5 hours) we should do it not by making the time per move very short (as has been done for fear of many-move games), but by having it more reasonable (say 2 minutes per move), but still with a limit of 5 hours.  In this way, people don't have to be rushed for each move, but also, you can't think 2 minutes a move indefinitely.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.