Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 10:16pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Re: Time out ! »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Re: Time out !
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re: Time out !  (Read 898 times)
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« on: Mar 23rd, 2005, 4:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Actually you already can.  Any unused time on normal 3 minute moves goes into a "reserve", which can be dipped into on more complex moves.  You can see how much is left in your reserve just next to the timer that is counting down.  You can save up to 15 minutes reserve during 3 minute games I think.

The other option, if you're still finding it too short is to take up postal games.  Some of us have been participating in a postal tournament and really enjoying analysing complex positions in great detail.  I'm sure one of us will take up such a game with you if you send a postal invite.

The problem with longer than 3 minute interactive games is that when you get good at the game, these games might take a very long time.  Some top human games go over 80 moves each!!
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2005, 4:30am by 99of9 » IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #1 on: Mar 23rd, 2005, 7:18am »

Aramanator, or anyone else, can invite me for a postal game.  We call them "owl games" at Hogwarts.  Because of my browser and family situations, owl games are the only kind I can play against muggles.  You'll find I play a few moves a day.  Even if I'm getting clobbered.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23rd, 2005, 10:07am »

There are also postal games with no time limits.  They aren't my favorite, but a Weasley will try anything once.

But in any event this thread points out once again how nice it would be to have ratings attuned to varying time controls, and to have a protocol for challenging the standard bots at varying time controls.  I must return to our previous discussion on this topic to try to polish my rough suggestions...
IP Logged

robinson
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #719

119532424 119532424    
Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24th, 2005, 11:58am »

hey ron, tryed to invite you to a postal game it did not works
my window always shows that i have invited you to a 1min game. hmm. if you are interested you can invite me (maybe 30days game) Huh
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25th, 2005, 7:15am »

robinson,

I just tried an invite.  Postal 1day w/ 14day reserve.  I don't know how you saw that your previous invite was a 1 min. game rather than postal, but your "no time at the moment" response makes me think my invite also had the wrong time settings.  I would have had to resign at a 1min setting.  Please let us know what you saw on your end.

Omar, is there a problem here?
IP Logged
robinson
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #719

119532424 119532424    
Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25th, 2005, 8:03am »

ron,
i got an invite for a 1min/move game, so i canceled.
so i am going to invite you to a game ( 1move per day and 14 res) so if it doesnt work we can resign.
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

« Reply #6 on: Mar 26th, 2005, 7:11pm »

OK,

We've tried it both ways.  When either of us requests the postal game 1day/14dayRes, the server offers us a 1min game.

So we'll have to wait for this to get repaired.  Omar, please let us know when we should try again.

Thanx!

IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 3:55pm »

The same thing happened to me as to RonWeasley and Robinson:  I challenge Robinson to an untimed game and it showed up as 1/1/5/100/0.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #8 on: Apr 6th, 2005, 6:30pm »

When I recently added some new time controls; I made a typo in the HTML and it was causing the wrong timecontrol to get picked up. Anyways it's fixed now. But there may be other bugs in it since this feature has not been used much and hasn't been tested thoroughly. Let me know if you find anything. If you report the problem through the Contact page, I will probably see it sooner.
IP Logged
robinson
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #719

119532424 119532424    
Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 8th, 2005, 7:39am »

thanks omar i think it works. Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.