Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 3:54pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Evidence of inaccurate ratings »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Evidence of inaccurate ratings
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Evidence of inaccurate ratings  (Read 4107 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Evidence of inaccurate ratings
« Reply #15 on: Jun 19th, 2005, 10:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 16th, 2005, 12:11pm, Arimanator wrote:
If you don't mind my opinion I believe that the ratings would be a lot more accurate, whatever formula is applied, if instead of being changed after each game they were changed instead after several, 5 for example

If I recall correctly, the fellow who designed the American Go Association ratings arrived at the same conclusion.  And I definitely agree that one problem with Arimaa ratings is that they are too volatile.  It is interesting to note, however, that the overly-volatile ratings of the the Internet Chess Club (ICC) were much inferior to the less-volatile ratings of the Free Internet Chess Server (FICS), but that the players on FICS didn't like having more accurate ratings.  Bowing to popular demand, the administration of FICS abritrarily gimmicked their more-accurate rating formula to make the rating swings larger!

Anyway, having each game account for a swing of up to 30 points (at the most stable level) is somewhat wild compared to chess ratings where the most stable level is a swing of 16 points.  And I believe it can be mathematically proven that having greater volatility leads to greater rating inaccuracy.

That said, I believe selection of time controls and selection of opponents are the biggest issues causing rating problems right now.  If the ratings moved only after every five games, or if they moved every game by a smaller amount, either way Omar would be vastly under-rated due to all the blitz games he has lost recently.  And bot-bashing to gain an inflated rating would perhaps take a little longer with reduced volatility, but it would be just as feasible.  So I'd put damping the large swings in ratings on the list of things to fix with the system, but probably not at the top of the list.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: Evidence of inaccurate ratings
« Reply #16 on: Jun 19th, 2005, 4:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I forgot to mention that the new performance based rating system will have variable rating swings and will be much more stable than the current system.  

I plan to focus on that once we iron out the WC format.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.