Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 7:45am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Movement of rating points »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Movement of rating points
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Movement of rating points  (Read 989 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Movement of rating points
« on: Aug 5th, 2005, 12:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

99of9 has pointed out that, since the large majority of games are human vs. bot and only a few are human vs. human, the transfer of rating points from one human to another occurs mostly via the bots.  It is as if the bots are a big bank of rating points, and some people are depositing points while other people are withdrawing.

To put some numbers to this thoery, I chose ten recently active players, and for each measured their rating change over their last 100 rated games.  I divided their games based on opponent type, and compared the net change of rating in games against bots to the net change of rating in games against humans.  Only one of the ten players (robinson) had a greater magnitude of rating change from playing humans, so the bank account theory holds at least that far.  We mostly trade points via bots rather than directly trading with each other.

Here are the changes sorted by difference in performance versus bots as opposed to versus humans:

PlayerRat Chngvs. Botsvs Humans
omar-287-226-61
naveed-19-62+43
Belbo-41-68+27
robinson+90+32+58
99of9-98-56-42
blue22+63+34+29
Fritzlein+57+56+1
PMertens+54+77-23
haizhi+78+95-17
Ariminator+400+413-13

This table seems fairly intuitive to me: the five of us in the bottom half did a lot more bot-bashing for rating points than the five in the upper half.

By the way, the my data is a couple of weeks behind, so it may not include some salient recent results, if folks are wondering why it doesn't exactly match their memory of the most recent rated games.
« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2005, 1:02am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.