Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 10:21pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Brain transplant for bot_Arimaanator? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Brain transplant for bot_Arimaanator?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Brain transplant for bot_Arimaanator?  (Read 1515 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Brain transplant for bot_Arimaanator?
« on: Aug 31st, 2005, 1:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Before today, I hadn't played bot_Arimaanator in ages, and I confess I hadn't paid much attention to other people's games against it either.  The game I just played wasn't at all like I remember bot_Arimaanator being.  Since when does it not have all 8 rabbits in back?  Since when does it hang back with the camel instead of playing aggressively?  Was the engine replaced when I wasn't looking?

I miss the old bot_Arimaanator because it was the most aggressive of all the bots on the server, including the championship bots.  Now we've got just another turtle.  That, or my memory is faulty and I'm hallucinating on the basis of one late-night game.  Smiley
IP Logged

PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

Re: Brain transplant for bot_Arimaanator?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31st, 2005, 1:42am »

Game 18771 (Omar vs 'nator) was the first game using tobys setup (unless I am mistaken of course).
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2005, 1:42am by PMertens » IP Logged
Arimanator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1064

« Reply #2 on: Aug 31st, 2005, 1:43am »

on Aug 31st, 2005, 1:35am, Fritzlein wrote:
Before today, I hadn't played bot_Arimaanator in ages, and I confess I hadn't paid much attention to other people's games against it either.  The game I just played wasn't at all like I remember bot_Arimaanator being.  Since when does it not have all 8 rabbits in back?  Since when does it hang back with the camel instead of playing aggressively?  Was the engine replaced when I wasn't looking?

I miss the old bot_Arimaanator because it was the most aggressive of all the bots on the server, including the championship bots.  Now we've got just another turtle.  That, or my memory is faulty and I'm hallucinating on the basis of one late-night game.  Smiley

The side effect of getting so strong is to make everyone else (especially bots) seem weak in comparison. You're like Hercules crushing inadvertently the hand of a friend in an innocent handshake.  Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2005, 1:44am by Arimanator » IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Sep 1st, 2005, 10:49pm »

It seems a lot like Bomb2005CC doesn't it Smiley

Since I was doing some experiments on my local WinXP box and needed to reboot it often, I had Bomb2005CC running as bot_Arimaanator. I forgot to post a message about that. But you guys are definitely alert and very familiar with the bots. Im impressed that you noticed it Smiley

I'll change it back in about a week or so.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 2nd, 2005, 10:05pm »

on Aug 31st, 2005, 1:43am, Arimanator wrote:
You're like Hercules crushing inadvertently the hand of a friend in an innocent handshake.  Wink

You are too kind, Pat.  You'll notice that only three games prior I lost to BombFast, and that was when I was trying to win in the boring, mechanical E+H+immobilization style.  I wasn't even taking any risks (or so I thought).  I wish I were good enough to win without trying, but I'm not there yet.

Omar, I'm glad you still have the old bot_Arimaanator around somewhere to switch back to some day.  It is nice for variety, and I think it does newcomers more good to learn to beat strong aggression than for them to learn to beat the turtle.
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 7th, 2005, 7:22am »

on Sep 1st, 2005, 10:49pm, omar wrote:
It seems a lot like Bomb2005CC doesn't it Smiley

Since I was doing some experiments on my local WinXP box and needed to reboot it often, I had Bomb2005CC running as bot_Arimaanator. I forgot to post a message about that. But you guys are definitely alert and very familiar with the bots. Im impressed that you noticed it Smiley

I'll change it back in about a week or so.

That explains a lot.  Last week I thought that bot_Arimaanator had been tweaked to reflect the latest fashions in rabbit setup and "cautious camel" strategy.  I hadn't realized that it was actually Bomb2005CC!
IP Logged

Arimanator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1064

« Reply #6 on: Sep 17th, 2005, 11:52pm »

Dear Omar, about giving us back our good ol' Bot Arimaanator, if it's not too much trouble of course. I bet it would mean a few surprises, particularly to Blue22 who's gotten used to beat acting 'nator Bomb senseless for some time now.  Wink

I am in a prankish mood today.  Grin
« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2005, 11:53pm by Arimanator » IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #7 on: Nov 15th, 2005, 4:25pm »

please please please ?
IP Logged
Ryan_Cable
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #951

« Reply #8 on: Nov 15th, 2005, 5:18pm »

I miss the old bot_Arimaanator as well.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #9 on: Nov 16th, 2005, 3:55pm »

I didn't know you guys liked it so much Smiley By popular demand it's back online. Have fun Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2005, 3:56pm by omar » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 16th, 2005, 5:47pm »

Thank you!  It will be good to have an aggressive Bomb back in the house, alongside all the turtle versions.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 16th, 2005, 9:40pm »

I just played the old bot_Arimaanator for the first time in ages, which convinces me more than ever that it belongs in the lobby.

First of all, now that I have a broader perspective, I am impressed at how soon Fotland could make a bot this strong.  It's simply amazing.  To me it shows that if the rules of Arimaa had been only slightly different, it would have been a game that computers could conquer with relative ease.  But as it happens, the camel hostage strategy was waiting to be discovered, the tide turned in favor of humanity, and we have never looked back.

Now I think every newcomer should be encouraged to play bot_Arimaanator.  This is not for the history lesson only.  It is because even today the camel hostage is the cornerstone of strategic thinking in Arimaa.  When you see for the first time how crippling it is to a bot if your elephant ties up its elephant and camel at the same time, you have your first insight into the rich strategic depths that exist in this game.

Yes, Bomb2005 is the strongest Arimaa bot by any measure, but it is not a good bot from which to learn the fundamentals of strategy.  Indeed, in retrospect I wish I hadn't cut my teeth on Bomb2004 at home, and then been bewildered at not being able to beat the older, buggier bot_Arimaanator when I came on line.  The central problem is that a beginner can learn to beat the more refined versions of Bomb without learning the basics.  The strategies of nickel and dime, framing, total smothering, and variations of the EH attack all depend on the opponent voluntarily keeping the camel hidden.

Yes, playing bot_Arimaanator is boring once you can win, because you can practically win in only one way.  (I know about Belbo's worming a rabbit to goal; let's leave that strategy aside for now and hope beginners don't know about it.)  You almost have to take bot_Arimaanator's camel hostage to win, and when you do, mopping up isn't very hard.  But being railroaded in this direction is precisely why the bot should be in the lobby.  Everyone needs to know that when the other guy attacks with the camel, you have to take it hostage.  Until you learn this, you probably won't understand more advanced strategy, e.g. you have no idea why the EH attack is so effective.

After newcomers master bot_Arimaanator, there is plenty of time to move on to the championship bots that deal with camel hostages in various ways.  But by then folks have been encouraged to think along useful lines.

Thanks again for restoring this bot, Omar.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #12 on: Nov 19th, 2005, 9:55am »

It's temporarily down again, but I'll put back online Monday.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.