Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 11:14pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Widening gap? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Widening gap?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Widening gap?  (Read 4993 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: Widening gap?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 30th, 2006, 12:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Since the challenge match is over now I guess I can break the news that Bomb2006 was actually Bomb2005. Any difference we might have notice in its play was due to the  faster CPU and more memory (dual P4, 2.8 GHz, 512 MB RAM vs dual P4 3.0 GHz, 1024 MB RAM).
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2006, 12:20pm by omar » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #31 on: Mar 30th, 2006, 1:12pm »

on Mar 30th, 2006, 12:19pm, omar wrote:
Since the challenge match is over now I guess I can break the news that Bomb2006 was actually Bomb2005.

That's hilarious.  It tells you something about my psychology that, because I expected to see differences, I kept thinking I was seeing differences.  That should be a cautionary tale to me not to leap to conclusions based on a small number of games.

Did you use Bomb2005 simply because Fotland didn't have time to get Bomb2006 working?  I know he made some changes to bot_speedy after last year's tournament, and I'm surprised he wouldn't want at least those changes to be included in whatever version of his bot was contesting the championship.

Anyway, I guess we can expect the humans to extend their advantage over computers if the best bot's software stayed exactly the same.  Faster hardware seems to have had a small effect in making the nickel-and-dime harder to implement, but advances in human knowledge of the game are (so far) greatly outpacing hardware speedups, and can be expected to do so for some time.  When Arimaa theory is a bit more established and agreed upon, then maybe speed alone will start closing the gap, but until then software improvements should be necessary for bots to keep pace.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #32 on: Mar 30th, 2006, 2:33pm »

David didn't get much time to work on Bomb in 2005 and a disk crash caused him to lose the stable version. Also the most current version was buggy. So David decided to stick with the older 2005 version. I just hope he gets some time to work on it this year
IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #33 on: Mar 30th, 2006, 4:40pm »

You must be kidding me ?  Shocked

I was kinda certain that suiciding rabbits was not in 2k5's repertoire ... not even with much more time  Undecided

honestly ... before I could kill a cat without bomb letting that  rabbit burn ... and now it moves away just for a position ??

IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #34 on: Apr 1st, 2006, 6:10pm »

Im sure it was not changed. I don't know how to explain these observations though.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #35 on: Jul 21st, 2006, 12:51pm »

Two years ago, when I first discovered Arimaa, I read about how difficult it was for computers to play well.  Then I clicked on the gameroom link "Top Rated Players", and discovered that only three people (99of9, Omar, and Belbo) were ranked above the top computer (bot_speedy).  It was quite disappointing to me, after all the rhetoric I had read, that only three humans in the whole world stood between the top bot and the Challenge Prize.

I later learned that it wasn't as close as the ratings made it seem, in part because bot_speedy was playing at 30 seconds per move while bot_bomb had to play the Challenge games at 120 seconds per move, but even so that first impression affected me greatly.

Nowadays I know that the "Top Rated Players" link is useless  (Who cares about the rating of OmarFast, inactive for 22 months?), whereas the "Established Players" link conveys all the information I want, but whichever link a newcomer clicks, they will get a very different first impression than I did.  The top bot is ranked #23 on the former list, and #20 on the latter.

In a previous post in this thread, I said that the 20th-ranked human would probably be able to defend the 2007 Arimaa challenge.  With every passing month, that prediction looks more likely to come true.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.