Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 4:50am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « RU=30 »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   RU=30
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: RU=30  (Read 1428 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

RU=30
« on: Oct 21st, 2005, 6:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I notice that there are currently twelve bots with an RU of 30.  I believe that is a record for the most since the RU's started incrementing.  Will there be even more as the computer championship approaches?  I hope and expect so.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: RU=30
« Reply #1 on: Dec 2nd, 2005, 1:05pm »

Now (December 2, 2005) there are 13 bots with RU=30.  The human vs. bot games have declined recently, but the bot vs. bot games have picked up.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 31st, 2005, 7:47pm »

As we ring in the new year 2006, there are 15 bots with RU=30, thanks in large part to Gnobot practicing against all the available bots in turn.
IP Logged

Ryan_Cable
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #951

« Reply #3 on: Jan 1st, 2006, 11:57am »

Yesterday, I boosted the number up to 17 at RU=30, but there seems to be a bug in the RU incrementing code.

From http://arimaa.com/arimaa/rating/
Quote:
The rating uncertianty of a player increases by one point per week if the player has been inactive for the week and the rating uncertianty is between 30 and 120.

I think the RU has actually been increased for everyone.  As of this post, there are 22 players (including bots) at RU=31 and only 5 at RU=30.  I haven’t been paying close attention to RU, but I think this is probably a new year related problem, since no one has mentioned it before.
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2006, 12:06pm by Ryan_Cable » IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #4 on: Jan 1st, 2006, 2:54pm »

Quote:
I haven’t been paying close attention to RU, but I think this is probably a new year related problem, since no one has mentioned it before.

interesting theory ... but I am pretty sure you will be able to see this again  Wink
probably just an undocumented feature nobody really cared about  Grin
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 1st, 2006, 8:13pm »

Ryan, I'm pretty sure that everyone (human and bot) gets their RU bumped up by one at the end of every week regardless of activity (to a maximum of 120).  I think it has been this way since RU's started incrementing.  I thought it was supposed to work that way.  In fact I believe that's what I originally suggested in another thread, although it is long enough ago that my memory may be faulty.
IP Logged

Ryan_Cable
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #951

« Reply #6 on: Jan 14th, 2006, 2:22am »

There are currently 18 bots at RU=30, but only 8 humans.  However, there are 24 bots with RU<=50, and 21 humans.
IP Logged
Ryan_Cable
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #951

« Reply #7 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 4:49am »

The server did in fact increment everyone's RU this week.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 8:59pm »

on Jan 14th, 2006, 2:22am, Ryan_Cable wrote:
There are currently 18 bots at RU=30, but only 8 humans.

The number of bots with RU=30 is no longer comparable, given the automatic bot v bot games Omar has running, but the number of humans with RU=30 has jumped from 8 to 14.  Yippee!
IP Logged

IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #9 on: Mar 15th, 2006, 3:23am »

Noob question:  What is RU?
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #10 on: Mar 15th, 2006, 4:12am »

It's the "rating uncertainty".  It starts very high for newbies, and goes down the more you play (until a limit of 30).  But it also increments at one point per week...

Basically it becomes quite a good measure of how often you have played recently.
IP Logged
Ryan_Cable
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #951

« Reply #11 on: Mar 15th, 2006, 4:17am »

RU stands for rating uncertainty.  The difference in rating between 2 players is input into the ELO formula to get the odds of victory/defeat.  If you win a game, your rating is increased by your odds of defeat times your RU.  Similarly, if you loose a game, your rating is decreased by your odds of victory times your RU.

Noobs begin with a rating uncertainty of 120, and it slowly decreases with each game they play, with a minimum of 30.  Also, everyone has their RU incremented by 1 point at the beginning of each week.  Thus the number of people with RU=30 at the end of the week is a fairly good measure of the number of highly active humans/bots.

The exact details of the rating system are available at:
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/rating/

PS  Currently there are 16 humans with RU=30, and it is not even half way through the week!  There are only 4 more humans RU<=40, but with the current noob explosion, I think we will break 20 this month and have a shot at 30 within 2 months.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.