Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 7:53pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2006 Bots on gold.arimaa.com »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2006 Bots on gold.arimaa.com
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2006 Bots on gold.arimaa.com  (Read 1222 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

2006 Bots on gold.arimaa.com
« on: Feb 6th, 2006, 8:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've enabled the 2006 bots on the gold.arimaa.com server so that we can play against them. Bomb is not enabled since the challenge match is still going on. To access the bots control page go to:
  http://gold.arimaa.com/~clueless/
  http://gold.arimaa.com/~gnobot/
  http://gold.arimaa.com/~aamira/
  http://gold.arimaa.com/~loc/

In addition to just starting the bot and joining it's game, you can setup your own game with perfered time controls and have the bot join your game. However, keep in mind that some bots may not be able to play a some time controls or understand time controls that use the T parameter.

Please do not try to play these bots when a challenge match game is going on as it would impact the load on the server and not allow Bomb to play full strength. I will disable them during that time anyways, but in case I forget.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

Re: 2006 Bots on gold.arimaa.com
« Reply #1 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 12:37am »

on Feb 6th, 2006, 8:14pm, omar wrote:
However, keep in mind that some bots may not be able to play a some time controls or understand time controls that use the T parameter.

Gnobot is in this category.  Please don't use the new time controls on Gnobot, it will only timeout, and I'd rather it's rating were reflective of its true strength.  It will however work for any of the old interactive time controls, so feel free to experiment at blitz etc.

I promise to build the T parameter in for 2007.

I'll be interested to see how the botbashers go against Gnobby now that it has a little bit of book learning.
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2006, 12:37am by 99of9 » IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #2 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 5:10am »

since we are botbashers ... could simply giving gnobby a rabbit advantage make its opening book obsolete ?
(I do not know how exactly you implemented it Wink )
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #3 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 5:52am »

Gnobot will happily accept any rabbits you choose to offer Smiley.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 10:12am »

Thanks for setting up the 2006 bots, Omar!

on Feb 6th, 2006, 8:14pm, omar wrote:
In addition to just starting the bot and joining it's game, you can setup your own game with perfered time controls and have the bot join your game.

I'm afraid that this will only exacerbate problems with the rating system.  Since bots have a much different playing strength (relative to humans) at different time controls, their ratings will tend to pump up if they play blitz and deflate if they play slowly.

On the other hand, the ratings are so messed up at the moment anyway, it hardly matters.  Maybe the flexibility of being able to choose your own time control outweighs an additional drop in the bucket of ratings inaccuracy.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 10:18am »

Oh, wow, we can make the bots play each other now.  That's a fascinating toy.

Maybe the CC bots should be flagged with a "2006" in their names, in case the developers want their main account name to reflect only games of the latest version.

Thanks again, Omar, for making the 2006CC bots available.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #6 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 11:22am »

I was hoping someone might take a shot at the original 2006 Bomb to see if the win without a camel could be acheived. I'll leave the gold server up a few more days in case there are any takers. I want to give it a try myself.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:25am »

on Mar 1st, 2006, 11:22am, omar wrote:
I was hoping someone might take a shot at the original 2006 Bomb to see if the win without a camel could be acheived. I'll leave the gold server up a few more days in case there are any takers. I want to give it a try myself.

Omar, you have been so generous with your game, it is hard to deny any request of yours, especially if you ask several times...
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/replayFlash.cgi?gid=25360&s=w

I didn't bash Bomb2005 much, but I'm guessing it is a bit harder to give the camel handicap to Bomb2006 because it gives up on its rabbits more easily and gets more aggressive eventually.  Actually I feel quite lucky to have won, and wouldn't bet too much on myself for next time.  Furthermore if Fotland were just trying to win at camel handicap and unconcerned with winning even games, he could fix Bomb in ten minutes to make my strategy hopeless.

The gap between humans and bots is large, but the best evidence for this is not material handicap games.  Rather the best evidence is that winning even games is so easy.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:33am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #8 on: Mar 4th, 2006, 12:50pm »

You are right Karl, the slow and gradual methods of winning with even positions are the most difficult to fix. But the ones that exhibit current weakness in a big way are fun to watch. Enjoy them while it lasts Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.