Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 10:34pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Botbash challenge structure »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Botbash challenge structure
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Botbash challenge structure  (Read 1281 times)
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

Botbash challenge structure
« on: Apr 26th, 2006, 10:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'd like to start doing a whole series of these botbash challenges.   However, I want some feedback/opinions on the structure.

Fritzlein has pointed out that 10-day challenges are more fun.   I agree, with a caveat:  they are more fun for those of us who are addicts and are on the site daily.   But they offer less opportunity for the occasional players to join in and contribute.

Also, with 10-day challenges, I can't afford to offer $15/challenge.   I can do $5/challenge every 10 days, or $15/mo.    Does the money matter that much?  Would you rather have more frequent challenges with less prize money, or less frequent with more prize money?

(Also at issue is that I will run out of ideas sooner if we use up 3 per month.  I have six waiting to go at the moment; that can either last us two months, or half a year.)

Another thought is that I want the challenges to explore the bot strategy space better.   Right now, we've demonstrated that you can beat Bomb with 3-step techniques.   But do those same techniques work just as well against Gnobby and Loc?   We don't know.   How can we structure future challenges to find out?   (It's no fair for Bomb to get *all* the attention).

I do have one challenge that will be a three-month challenge (you'll need the time), and will run simultaneously with other challenges.   I will probably start that one on June 1st, and make it the all-summer uber-botbash-challenge.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

Re: Botbash challenge structure
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26th, 2006, 11:18pm »

on Apr 26th, 2006, 10:44pm, IdahoEv wrote:

Also, with 10-day challenges, I can't afford to offer $15/challenge.   I can do $5/challenge every 10 days, or $15/mo.    Does the money matter that much?  Would you rather have more frequent challenges with less prize money, or less frequent with more prize money?

(Also at issue is that I will run out of ideas

Hum, try also not to run out of money Wink At this pace, Nathan and Arimanator are going to become pro sooner than anyone could have expected Smiley

The money doesn't matter much the glory much more I guess ...
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26th, 2006, 11:19pm »

Oh, I forgot OLTI of course !!!  Cool
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: May 3rd, 2006, 9:11pm »

Cool. Another prize to try for. Thanks for creating this challenge Evan. I would suggest $10/month. This conserves the challenge ideas and money so you can run it longer while also allowing more people to participate.

You might want setup a Wiki page to keep track of the winners and what the challenge was. Let me know if you want to do that, so I can give you access to the Wiki.
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2006, 9:11pm by omar » IP Logged
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #4 on: May 3rd, 2006, 9:18pm »

Omar,  I'd be happy to put the results on the wiki.

Right now I'm leaning towards what I'm doing this month: $10 for first place, $5 for second, at least where the challenge involves building up points like this one.   (And I think this is a good structure to encourage the bashing of more than one bot).  

I think awards for both 1st and 2nd place will help keep people from being too discouraged to try if someone shoots into the lead on the first day.

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.