Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 7:24am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Central occupation »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Central occupation
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Central occupation  (Read 1852 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Central occupation
« on: May 1st, 2006, 9:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

In my current postal game against Adanac, on move 18, we have between us occupied 11 of the 12 central squares of the board.  This is very unusual for games in which I am one of the players, but I wondered how common it is generally.  Has it happened to anyone else?  Has there ever been a game in which all twelve of the central squares are occupied?  (I mean a position naturally occurring in the course of both players trying to win; this is not another botbash challenge!)
IP Logged

mouse
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #784

Re: Central occupation
« Reply #1 on: May 1st, 2006, 9:50am »

Yeah I have played a game something like that against bot_gnobot. I tried to win but we got 11 central squares and 3 traps occoupied after 21w.

game 12230

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/replayFlash.cgi?gid=12230&s=w& client=1
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2006, 10:09am by mouse » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 1st, 2006, 11:11am »

on May 1st, 2006, 9:50am, mouse wrote:
I tried to win but we got 11 central squares and 3 traps occoupied after 21w.

Wow, that's even more blocked up than my game against Adanac.  That makes it seem possible that some time all 12 central squares plus all four traps would be occupied at the same time.
IP Logged

mouse
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #784

« Reply #3 on: May 1st, 2006, 11:31am »

on May 1st, 2006, 11:11am, Fritzlein wrote:

Wow, that's even more blocked up than my game against Adanac.  That makes it seem possible that some time all 12 central squares plus all four traps would be occupied at the same time.

It is possible but I dont think it is a likely situation naturally. If you want all the 16 central squares occupied it will take 16 pieces. That only leaves 8 aside for other things. It would believe you need atleast 2 pieces at both wings to prevent a runaway rabbit (total of Cool. Further on or both sides will need a couple of pieces to prevent a breakthroug in the bottom or the top of the position. That will tie down another couple of pieces. Which leaves virtually no pieces for initial exchange and other task.
IP Logged
mouse
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #784

« Reply #4 on: May 2nd, 2006, 6:52am »

After having thougt a bit more about it. I guess you may be able to find some exampels against bots willing to engage in a phant block on the middle of the board.

That would leave games against Gno_bot and Loc as the most likely games with all the 16 central squares occupied. Given Locs tendency to time out with the phant beeing block. I guess Gno_bot is the most likely candidate of such a game.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 9th, 2006, 3:20pm »

Speaking of central occupation, I also notice a game from the other extreme.  99of9 and Omar, in their current postal game, as of move 16, had both elephants, both camels, and all four horses in files a, b, and c.  Indeed, they were only one piece shy of having them all in just columns a and b.  Has there ever been a case where all eight heavy pieces were concentrated in just two files?  Just wondering...
IP Logged

leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #6 on: May 9th, 2006, 5:03pm »

My recent game against bot_Clueless2006P1 is an illustration of an awfully choked board center as well as a very very bad example of playing Smiley

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/replayFlash.cgi?gid=31174&s=b& client=1

(around move 43)
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #7 on: May 9th, 2006, 5:58pm »

on May 9th, 2006, 5:03pm, http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/YaBBImages/center.gif
Centeredstart=0#6">leo wrote:
My recent game against bot_Clueless2006P1 is an illustration of an awfully choked board center

It's remarkable to occupy 10 of the 12 central squares, given that you only had 25 of the 32 pieces left.  I was supposing that any positionwith 12 of 12 central squares occupied would likely occur before the first capture of the game.
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2006, 5:58pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #8 on: May 10th, 2006, 6:49am »

on May 9th, 2006, 5:58pm, Fritzlein wrote:

It's remarkable to occupy 10 of the 12 central squares, given that you only had 25 of the 32 pieces left.  I was supposing that any positionwith 12 of 12 central squares occupied would likely occur before the first capture of the game.

I think I was tired of exchanging pieces and felt the bot was beginning to net-catch itself, so I went on pushing forward and accumulating threats instead of using the opportunities of trapping. But this could have turned bad against me eventually, I don't recommend it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.