Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 11:18pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « flip button »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   flip button
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: flip button  (Read 1322 times)
arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

flip button
« on: Jun 27th, 2006, 6:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all Grin,  
firstly I want to say that I learned arimaa last week and I LOVE THIS GAME! Roll Eyes  
I will start playing via internet (I already played couple of games against friends in real life) in a couple of days coz at first I wanna study some articles, resolve some puzzles and replay some games.

Secondly, I am really missing "flip button". Huh  
I think it will be useful especially in case of replaying games.
So I ask: it is possible to add this button in side bar so it will be together with other buttons?
Maybe it is question directly to Omar but anyway it will be interesting to see if this "flip button suggestion" will meet positive feedback.

At last I would like to apologize for my bad english - I am only intermediate at this language.
IP Logged
DorianGaray
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1210

Re: flip button
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27th, 2006, 7:03am »

I don't think that you have to be perfect in order to play online. Some of my earliest games were quite awful. Actually so were some of my latest.  Grin The flip button (to turn the board upside down, right?) is unnecessary since you can start the game either way by clicking on the gold or silver side of the little icon representing a board.
IP Logged
arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27th, 2006, 7:12am »

Hi Dorian,
Yes, I know but I wanna be at least a little bit prepared (coz I think after a couple of days of studying articles and so on I will be far from perfection) before serious play /and playing via internet for rating and maybe for more Wink / is dead serious for me.  

I know I can start the game like silver or gold, but like I wrote earlier:  
"I think it will be useful especially in case of replaying games" for viewing the board from (for example) winner side to find out how he saw game and trying to find out how he should thinking about his position.
IP Logged
jdb
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #214

« Reply #3 on: Jun 27th, 2006, 8:49am »

When replaying a game, when selecting a game to review, if you click on the left side of the board it displays from gold's side, and from the right side of the board it displays from silver's side.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 27th, 2006, 8:54am »

Hi, Jan.  Welcome to the Arimaa server!  I'm glad you like Arimaa so far; I'm guessing it will be one of the great two-player abstract strategy games of all time.  If there is an easy way to look at the game that makes everything clear, then no one has found it so far.  Don't let the existence of commentary and strategy articles fool you; we're all still struggling to understand the strategy.

This is the right place to ask Omar to include a "flip" button in the client.  However, Omar is currently totally rewriting the client with DHTML (and without Flash), so he probably won't respond to any other feature requests for a few weeks.  I'm hoping the new client will be more stable than the old one was -- interface freezes and crashes are the main blemish on an otherwise fantastic server.

I look forward to seeing your games and your commentary.  I'm sure you'll be a great addition to the community!
IP Logged

arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #5 on: Jun 27th, 2006, 9:02am »

on Jun 27th, 2006, 8:49am, jdb wrote:
When replaying a game, when selecting a game to review, if you click on the left side of the board it displays from gold's side, and from the right side of the board it displays from silver's side.

Hi jdb,  
I didn´t notice this feature before.
Thank you very much.

IP Logged
arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #6 on: Jun 27th, 2006, 9:16am »

Hi Fritzlein,
thx for warm welcome. Cheesy I just finished three games against easy bots. I feel like a superman due to totally demolishing this easy bots but we will see how I will be doing against stronger bots and finally against strong humans.  

BTW - "the flip button suggestion" remains important only to simplify flip the board during the replaying (coz at the start everyone can choose which side to follow /see jdb answer: "When replaying a game, when selecting a game to review, if you click on the left side of the board it displays from gold's side, and from the right side of the board it displays from silver's side. "/ ).

May I have a personal question?  How it comes that you are the best human player with so big margin (133 points)? Shocked  
What is your secret?  Lips Sealed
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 27th, 2006, 10:04am »

on Jun 27th, 2006, 9:16am, arimaa_master wrote:
How it comes that you are the best human player with so big margin (133 points)?  What is your secret?

I am not truly better by such a margin.  Right now my rating is temporarily at a record high, but three months ago it was almost down to 2200.

My secret for keeping a high rating is mostly that I spend more time on Arimaa than anyone else does.  Arimaa theory is still changing very rapidly, and new ideas crop up all the time.  It is very useful to replay all the human vs. human games to see what innovations everyone is discovering.  It helps also to play lots of games against humans to test out the strength of new ideas.  Adanac and Robinson have more talent than I do, but apparently they have less time to spend playing games.

But now chessandgo is threatening to upset the balance.  He has been playing less than three months, but is beating everyone except 99of9 (whom he hasn't yet played) and me.  I don't think I can hold out much longer, because now it is chessandgo spending more time on Arimaa than anyone, including me!
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2006, 1:00pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #8 on: Jun 27th, 2006, 9:34pm »

on Jun 27th, 2006, 10:04am, Fritzlein wrote:

more talent than I do
[...]
 I don't think I can hold out much longer

Does anyone think there exists a more talented player than you, Karl ? Do you really think this ? Smiley

arimaa_master : if you manage to understand why Karl is so strong you have a chance to catch up with him. If you understand why he sometimes loses anyway you might go even higher Wink In both cases I'd be glad if you let me know Smiley
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 28th, 2006, 9:19am »

on Jun 27th, 2006, 9:34pm, chessandgo wrote:
Does anyone think there exists a more talented player than you, Karl ? Do you really think this ? Smiley

Yes, I really think it.  Training, practice, and in general time spent studying Arimaa are just as important as talent.  Take a look at the top 5 finishers in the recent World Championships, for example.

Ratings at the start of the tournament:
2273 Fritzlein
2142 99of9
2045 PMertens
2039 Adanac
2026 robinson

Training games (rated games against human opponents) played between November 15 and December 15:

21 PMertens
16 robinson
9 Adanac
7 Fritzlein
4 99of9

Order of finish in the WC tournament:

1st robinson
2nd Adanac
3rd PMertens
4th Fritzlein
4th 99of9

Performance in the tournament has a strong correlation to practice, stronger than to server rating.  Now, since the end of the World Championship, robinson has played hardly any games, so I think I would have a pretty good chance of beating him today.  But I think that is due to my having learned a significant amount of Arimaa strategy since January, while he has fallen out of practice.  If robinson played and studied just as much as I do, I think he would be favored over me.  In other words, I think he has more talent.  Smiley
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.