Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 6:56pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « A 9x9 variant of arimaa »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   A 9x9 variant of arimaa
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A 9x9 variant of arimaa  (Read 1243 times)
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

A 9x9 variant of arimaa
« on: Mar 12th, 2007, 12:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

If you've been around here very long, you know I'm incapable of leaving well enough alone.

Proposal for a 9x9 variant of Arimaa, I'm just curious how people think it would play.   Each player has 18 pieces, and the board has five traps, positioned like this:

I have debated with myself a couple of different combinations of 18 pieces that might be interesting:

• Standard pieces + 1 rabbit + 1 camel
  • Standard pieces + 1 rabbit + 1 rhino *
  • Standard pieces + 1 rabbit + 1 rat**
  • Standard pieces + 1 rabbit + 1 cat

* rhino defined as an officer that is smaller than an elephant but larger than a camel (same as Fritzlein's "lion").
** rat defined as an officer that is the "same size" as a rabbit, except that it is "larger" than an elephant.  i.e. a cat, dog, horse or camel can freeze or push it, but it can freeze or push an elephant.  (Note I am thinking of renaming the 'rat' to the 'mouse' because my originally proposed mouse is boring and probably turns the game into a defensive stalemate, and everyone knows that elephants are scared of mice so it's the funnier name.)

I'm just curious how these would play out.   It breaks the fundamental symmetry of Arimaa's traps - all are equivalently valuable.  

The extra officers (two camels, or camel plus rhino) turns the game into a little wider ranging proposal with more simultaneous attacks possible.   The rat idea is to have a way to break the obvious deadlock of two elephants around the center trap.

Does this variant need 5 steps/turn because of the increased distance between traps?  (traps occur at higher spatial density, but the rectilinear distance between any two traps is 3 instead of 2.)

Too bad none of you dudes live closer (los angeles?) to playtest.  Purplebaron's too busy planning his wedding next month...  Wink

IP Logged
clauchau
Forum Guru

bot Quantum Leapfrog's father

Re: A 9x9 variant of arimaa
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13th, 2007, 11:19am »

In case it helps, here are 4x4, 6x6 and 10x10 variants where the ratios
  • nb of pieces/nb of squares
  • nb of traps/nb of squares
and the nb of moves needed for a piece to cross the board is about the same as the original game:
r r c d    2-step moves
. . . _
_ . . .
R R C D

r r r r c c   3-step moves
. _ d h _ .
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
. _ H . _ D
R R C C R R

. . . _ . . _ . . .   5-step moves
. . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . .   rrrrrrrrrrrrcccdddhhmme + 1 dragon + 1 whale
_ . . _ . . _ . . _
. . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . .
_ . . _ . . _ . . _
. . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . .
. . . _ . . _ . . .
IP Logged
clauchau
Forum Guru

bot Quantum Leapfrog's father

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14th, 2007, 3:08am »

Oops, I got the number of traps wrong - twice as much as normal. Your 9x9 board is better.
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14th, 2007, 6:57am »

I think 5 step turns would make trap tactics different, favoring the strong pieces more.  Assuming then 4 step turns, overall trap density is the same as the 8x8, but more dense in the center.  These factors make me think the 9x9 version would have a higher capture/turn ratio if the forces engage with multiple pieces.  This might drive players to favor conservative strategies in the opening, but there's more room for innovation on the bigger board later in the game.
IP Logged
OLTI
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #1034

« Reply #4 on: Mar 14th, 2007, 9:27am »

I think this version of 9x9 board increase the tactics. For example there are more possibility for forking the pieces and threats of capture.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.