Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 8:37am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Whole History Ratings »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Whole History Ratings
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Whole History Ratings  (Read 67426 times)
mistre
Forum Guru

Re: Whole History Ratings
« Reply #135 on: Feb 4th, 2014, 2:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Is it possible to create graphs showing WHR over time like the current gameroom rating graphs?
IP Logged

supersamu
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7523

« Reply #136 on: Feb 9th, 2014, 1:42pm »

On the current WHRH list I see browni3141*s peak rating coinciding with his win over Brendan_M:
http://home.scarlet.be/~woh/whr/whrh.htm

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/comments.cgi?gid=291140

However, browni immediately thereafter won against 5HT three times, Nombril twice, bohmaster twice, and kzb52 once without losing any games in between.  
[EDIT: I have been informed that browni's games against 5HT and bohmaster were unrated, that somehow slipped past me. Sorry. But the Question is still valid, I think]

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/pastgames.cgi?id=16866

After that he gets defeated by Adanac. Shouldn't the peak rating link to his last game against kzb52? Or are there other factors involved?

« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2014, 2:35pm by supersamu » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #137 on: Feb 9th, 2014, 10:36pm »

If the WHR ratings were updated like gameroom ratings then yes, the peak rating would always be directly before a loss, at the end of a winning streak.  But WHR ratings are calculated retroactively.  After browni lost to Adanac, WHR went back and thought, "You probably weren't that good when you beat kzb after all; that was more lucky than I thought."

When you go back after the fact and decide how good someone was when they played, you are most likely to think their peak came at the middle of a winning streak, gradually sloping up to and down from that peak.  Otherwise you have to claim that browni got worse all of a sudden after his last win of the streak and before his first loss, which is less likely to be true.

What's more, if browni now goes on a long losing streak, WHR will conclude that his peak rating was even earlier than it now thinks.  The system will discard the notion that he has been getting better and better in favor of the notion that he has been getting worse for some time now, and it didn't immediately show up in the results.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #138 on: Mar 11th, 2014, 8:43pm »

Are the games from the Screening counted in WHRE?  It seems to me they should be.  Especially given that the main problem with the WHRE is that humans don't have enough chances to play in events, this would be a perfect opportunity for folks to get a rating established.
IP Logged

woh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2128

« Reply #139 on: Mar 12th, 2014, 7:00am »

The screening games are currently not included in WHRE. They are stored in de game database as casual games. If the event field is changed to something like 'ACS 2014' they would be included. Unless I change my code and include HvB with either bot_ziltoid or bot_sharp and the game ends during the screening period. I believe it makes more sense to change the event field.
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #140 on: Aug 31st, 2014, 6:58pm »

The following games should be disregarded from any rating calculation:

211904 and 211911 (because they were resumed by 211922)
42449 (because it's a duplication of 42448)
1922 (because it was resumed by 1923)
130221 (because it was resumed by 130227)

I'd unrate them already, but I had given up that power as a security precaution.
IP Logged
supersamu
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7523

« Reply #141 on: Oct 11th, 2014, 8:00am »

on Feb 4th, 2014, 2:43pm, mistre wrote:
Is it possible to create graphs showing WHR over time like the current gameroom rating graphs?

I would really like to see this feature, possibly even with a graph of the position in the standings over time.
IP Logged

woh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2128

« Reply #142 on: Nov 18th, 2014, 5:09am »

Starting todays WHR ratings, these games are now excluded.

on Aug 31st, 2014, 6:58pm, aaaa wrote:
The following games should be disregarded from any rating calculation:

211904 and 211911 (because they were resumed by 211922)
42449 (because it's a duplication of 42448)
1922 (because it was resumed by 1923)
130221 (because it was resumed by 130227)

I'd unrate them already, but I had given up that power as a security precaution.

IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #143 on: Nov 18th, 2014, 11:42am »

Does WHR not automatically drop games after they are unrated?

It's sorta hard to tell since the links don't go to the comments page, but all of those games should have been unrated back in September.

Janzert
IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #144 on: Nov 18th, 2014, 1:37pm »

on Nov 18th, 2014, 11:42am, Janzert wrote:
Does WHR not automatically drop games after they are unrated?

A database file no longer gets automatically updated after the corresponding month is over. See here.
IP Logged
clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

« Reply #145 on: Jan 31st, 2016, 8:09am »

It looks like the Shadow-mattj256 WC Warmup game is still being counted in WHRE despite being flagged as a non-event game. If it's not convenient to modify the behavior of WHRE on these types of games I'm also okay with resetting to default the event and/or eventid fields and marking any future games of this type via the comments in the future.

EDIT: Okay, it looks like the 'event game' flag I unset for this game isn't actually represented in the game archives and is hence inaccessible to the program calculating WHRE. I'll just set the event and eventid fields back to their defaults for this game and it should pick up the change next time the January archives are updated.
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2016, 8:37am by clyring » IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.