Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 1:29am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Whole History Ratings »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Whole History Ratings
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8  ...  10 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Whole History Ratings  (Read 67269 times)
woh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2128

Re: Whole History Ratings
« Reply #75 on: Nov 19th, 2009, 4:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Nov 18th, 2009, 2:32pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Woh, is the new column for games played in the last year blanked out if the user has played less than 5?  That is to say, if they don't get a ranking among active players, it doesn't show whether they have played 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4 games in the last year?

That is correct, Fritzlein. It will be more informative when the number of games played the last year is mentionned for all players, so I will change it to that.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #76 on: Nov 19th, 2009, 6:31am »

on Nov 19th, 2009, 4:10am, woh wrote:
That is correct, Fritzlein. It will be more informative when the number of games played the last year is mentionned for all players, so I will change it to that.

Thanks!
IP Logged

Tuks
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2626

« Reply #77 on: Nov 19th, 2009, 12:18pm »

hehe, Pmertens lost a game and everyone's ratings went down in the top 20
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #78 on: Mar 27th, 2010, 10:42am »

Woh, I have another feature request if you are interested and have the time.  Could you include a column in the WHR display for peak rating?  Since you have the whole history at hand anyway, the number should already be calculated, so I think I'm only requesting an additional lookup and display.

I realize that subsequent games do cause old ratings to be recalculated, such that a player's peak rating could go down slightly, as counter-intuitive as that is.  But I don't think this small amount of drift is a problem for the purpose at hand, namely discouraging sandbagging in the World League.

Plus, it would be kind of cool to know one's own high-water mark in any case. Cheesy
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2010, 10:44am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

knarl
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1648

« Reply #79 on: Mar 28th, 2010, 2:51pm »

on Mar 27th, 2010, 10:42am, Fritzlein wrote:
Woh, I have another feature request if you are interested and have the time.  Could you include a column in the WHR display for peak rating?  Since you have the whole history at hand anyway, the number should already be calculated, so I think I'm only requesting an additional lookup and display.

I realize that subsequent games do cause old ratings to be recalculated, such that a player's peak rating could go down slightly, as counter-intuitive as that is.  But I don't think this small amount of drift is a problem for the purpose at hand, namely discouraging sandbagging in the World League.

Plus, it would be kind of cool to know one's own high-water mark in any case. Cheesy

As I mentioned in the world league feedback; For players who's ratings decended from the 1500 starting point, their peak WHR could be at the first maxima. Because a rating isn't really true until it bottoms out at the beginning right?

I don't know how WHR are calculated, so I might be totally wrong in the way I'm considering it.

Cheer's
knarl.
IP Logged
woh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2128

« Reply #80 on: Mar 29th, 2010, 1:50pm »

on Mar 27th, 2010, 10:42am, Fritzlein wrote:

Hi Fritzlein. I will add a column with the peak rating.

Your observation is correct, all the the data is available, just give me some time to add it.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #81 on: Mar 29th, 2010, 2:01pm »

on Mar 29th, 2010, 1:50pm, woh wrote:
Hi Fritzlein. I will add a column with the peak rating.

Your observation is correct, all the the data is available, just give me some time to add it.

Awesome, thanks!
IP Logged

woh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2128

« Reply #82 on: Mar 29th, 2010, 2:10pm »

on Mar 28th, 2010, 2:51pm, knarl wrote:
As I mentioned in the world league feedback; For players who's ratings decended from the 1500 starting point, their peak WHR could be at the first maxima. Because a rating isn't really true until it bottoms out at the beginning right?

knarl

Every time the whratings are calculated all ratings are recalculated including the rating a player had when playing his previous games. Previous ratings are influenced by the results of the players new games (and indirectly also by the results of the new games played by his opponents)
It is true that a players first rating is possible his maximum but this rating will no be equal to the 1500 starting point. The more a player lose the more all his ratings will drop including his maximum. So a plyaer who has lost more games and lost to weaker opponents should end up with a lower maximum.

IP Logged

knarl
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1648

« Reply #83 on: Mar 29th, 2010, 3:28pm »

on Mar 29th, 2010, 2:10pm, woh wrote:

knarl

Every time the whratings are calculated all ratings are recalculated including the rating a player had when playing his previous games. Previous ratings are influenced by the results of the players new games (and indirectly also by the results of the new games played by his opponents)
It is true that a players first rating is possible his maximum but this rating will no be equal to the 1500 starting point. The more a player lose the more all his ratings will drop including his maximum. So a plyaer who has lost more games and lost to weaker opponents should end up with a lower maximum.

Cool. That solves that problem. Sounds like a neat rating system. I should read that paper some time.

Cheers,
knarl.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #84 on: Apr 1st, 2010, 8:53am »

Thanks for adding the "peak rating" column, woh!  It's quite interesting in its own right, and it is enabling for the World League.  For those World League players concerned that the minimum peak rating would be 1500, just look at the results and you will see that it doesn't work that way.
IP Logged

Tuks
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2626

« Reply #85 on: Apr 12th, 2010, 12:23am »

hey woh, could you update the #games played this year column and how hard would it be to add the postal ratings? just as its postal  season so they ought to be changing quite a lot in the next couple of months.
IP Logged
woh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2128

« Reply #86 on: Apr 13th, 2010, 8:37am »

Hi Tuks

on Apr 12th, 2010, 12:23am, Tuks wrote:
hey woh, could you update the #games played this year column.

The column at the right is not #games played this year but the #games player between today and the same date a year ago. It is updated with every new list.

on Apr 12th, 2010, 12:23am, Tuks wrote:
hey woh, could you update the #games played this year column and how hard would it be to add the postal ratings? just as its postal  season so they ought to be changing quite a lot in the next couple of months.

I posted a new postal ranking as well as a new events ranking. I will update these once a week.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #87 on: Apr 19th, 2010, 8:40am »

Woh, I know you mentioned that there is a windows executable for calculating WHR, but I won't be able to run that on the arimaa.com server. If you could either post or email me the source, I would like to try some experiments with it. Thanks.
IP Logged
Weirdo87
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #3347

« Reply #88 on: Apr 19th, 2010, 6:16pm »

on Apr 13th, 2010, 8:37am, woh wrote:
I posted a new postal ranking as well as a new events ranking. I will update these once a week.

These rankings strike me as odd, particularly because my rating seems hugely inflated. In the events ranking, I'm ranked at #16, but there's no way in hell I'm that good. Can someone explain why I'm ranked at #16 while someone like Arimabuff (who I couldn't beat in a million years) is only ranked at #41?

(If this question has already been addressed, just ignore me.)
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #89 on: Apr 21st, 2010, 8:26pm »

Most likely due to the low number of games. Until a player has played about 50 games, the ratings are probably not very stable.

Woh has sent me the code he uses, so I'm going to do some tests with WHR to characterize it a bit.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8  ...  10 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.