Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 11:08pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Arimaa without captures? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Arimaa without captures?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Arimaa without captures?  (Read 3311 times)
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

Re: Arimaa without captures?
« Reply #15 on: Jul 11th, 2008, 10:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jul 11th, 2008, 4:03am, Werner wrote:
How about 9x9 with 4 traps (c3, c7, g3, g7)?  

Each side with 9 rabbits, 2 cats, 2 dogs, 2 horses, 2 camels and 1 elephant?

I personally would prefer the current asymmetric version since it imho allows for more variations even though I am a supreme-commander fanboy and would in generall prefer the 1000x1000 board with 1000 rabbits, 400 cats, 300 dogs, 200 horses, 98 camels, 1 elephant and 1 nuke ... and a few more traps Smiley
(second part of  my post was a joke ... sorry)
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #16 on: Jul 11th, 2008, 12:03pm »

How about Arimaa based on chinese chess structure?

That is 5 rabbits, 1 elephant, 2 camels, 2 horses, 2 dogs, 2 cats and 2 rats. A rat being weaker than a cat and stronger than a rabbit. The traps being on C3 and G3 and symmetrically on the other side. At the start of the game the pieces can be positioned anywhere (even on the traps) on the first 4 rows of your side of the board.

I think it'd be worth a try.
IP Logged
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #17 on: Jul 11th, 2008, 9:34pm »

on Jul 11th, 2008, 10:43am, PMertens wrote:

I personally would prefer the current asymmetric version since it imho allows for more variations even though I am a supreme-commander fanboy and would in generall prefer the 1000x1000 board with 1000 rabbits, 400 cats, 300 dogs, 200 horses, 98 camels, 1 elephant and 1 nuke ... and a few more traps :-)
(second part of  my post was a joke ... sorry)

I don't know about a 1000x1000 board, but it sounds like you might want to start studying the 36x36 shogi variant known as "Tai Kyoku Shogi." Created in the 16th century, Taikyoku Shogi, which was rediscovered in 1997, is thought to be the most complex chess variant ever made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taikyoku_shogi

Before the rediscovery of Taikyoku Shogi, the 25x25 Tai Shogi was thought to be the grandest chess relative of all time. You can download a computer program that plays it here:

http://trout.customer.netspace.net.au/
IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #18 on: Jul 15th, 2008, 10:40am »

on Jul 11th, 2008, 9:34pm, The_Jeh wrote:

you might want to start studying the 36x36 shogi variant known as "Tai Kyoku Shogi." Created in the 16th century, Taikyoku Shogi, which was rediscovered in 1997, is thought to be the most complex chess variant ever made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taikyoku_shogi
http://trout.customer.netspace.net.au/

wow ... that looks indeed complex ...

I am glad that Omar tried to make the arimaa-rules as simple as possible (while keeping the game complex).
The creator of that shogi-variant probably had something else in mind.

Deeply impressed ...
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #19 on: Jul 22nd, 2008, 8:50am »

A while back I played shogi online against computers a few times to get a feel for the game. I always have a hard time trying to remember the different movement of different pieces. Having even more pieces with different movements I think would make it extremely hard. The 36x36 version is probably hitting the limits of human playability. It might have been a variation that was tried, but after actual play did not really catch on.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.