Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 3:54pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « First move advantage in CR vs CR »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   First move advantage in CR vs CR
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: First move advantage in CR vs CR  (Read 3608 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: First move advantage in CR vs CR
« Reply #15 on: Aug 11th, 2008, 8:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 11th, 2008, 8:36pm, aaaa wrote:

Standard komi in Japan has already been increased to 6.5 in 2002.

I'm behind the times!  I think when I first learned, komi was only 4.5 points.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 8th, 2012, 2:44pm »

on Aug 5th, 2008, 10:22am, jdb wrote:
There was some discussion about whether the first move is an advantage in arimaa. If the pieces are reduced to CR vs CR, the following happens.

I am struck again at how non-obvious the winning setups are.  It would have taken me a long time to start a rabbit behind the trap (in the back row case) and an even longer time to start a rabbit on the back row (in the case where both home ranks are available).

Anyway, JDB, did you repeat this analysis for DCR vs DCR after you completed the six-piece tablebase?  Clyring renewed my interest in this question in this thread.  Of course, with clueless entered in the World Computer Championship, I don't expect you to have time at the moment for any other hobby coding, but I thought it couldn't hurt to raise the question. Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2012, 2:52pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #17 on: Jan 9th, 2012, 3:53am »

on Aug 8th, 2008, 10:50am, Fritzlein wrote:

The game of Arimaa as a whole, since it is finite and drawless, is either a first-player win or a second-player win, unlike chess, which is probably a draw.  We can expect that, the better we get at Arimaa, the more our actual win percentages will tilt in favor of the player with the theoretical win.  One way to interpret the fact that actual winning percentages are about 50-50 is that we still stink at Arimaa!

The theoretical win has many many more moves than the games we play.  So by this theory, the better we get, the longer the games will get.  Which also means that all you aggressive players are making us all play worse Smiley.  Not only do we stink at Arimaa... but we're getting worse! Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.